Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: New Independence party

Default New Independence party

I wondered what people think about the plan to launch a new Independence party so that in theory, pro independence supporters can win more list seats in the Scottish election next year to support the SNP. I am not sure if it is a smart move or a bit of skullduggery! With opinion now really moving in the way of pro-independence and the SNP expected to do very well next year, is it even really necessary or desirable?

Quite frankly I think it's a great idea whose time has come. The way the voting, and subsequent seat allocation works in a Holyrood election, has been designed to try to prevent any party from gaining a majority. Thus, any party that does well in the constituency vote will do much less well in the regional (list) vote when it comes to allocating seats.

The practical upshot of that it that if you were to give both votes to the SNP then they are likely to get a huge number of constituency MSPs but very few regional (list) ones. Most of them would go to unionist parties. So, if there is a second independence party on the ballot paper, which is only contesting regional seats, independence supporters can vote for the SNP on the constituency ballot and the other Indy party on the regional ballot.

That way the SNP gets its usual huge number of constituency MSPs and the other Indy Party picks up a huge number of the regional seats thus ensuring a pro-Indy majority.

The voting system in use for Holyrood elections is described here:- http://www.parliament.scot/gd/visita...ion/16285.aspx

There is an analysis of this question on the BBC web site:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-53402456

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I wondered what people think about the plan to launch a new Independence party so that in theory, pro independence supporters can win more list seats in the Scottish election next year to support the SNP. I am not sure if it is a smart move or a bit of skullduggery! With opinion now really moving in the way of pro-independence and the SNP expected to do very well next year, is it even really necessary or desirable?
    A good idea if they stick to just the one new list party which has already been launched...the ISP...and don't go adding more and more options into the mix, which will simply dilute the impact of the whole idea. It is necessary and desirable if only to illustrate that independence is not all about the SNP, which is how it is continually portrayed by the media and unionist political parties....and by the SNP
    Last edited by Oddquine; 16-Jul-20 at 17:31.

Just points at how Single Issue some want to make Scottish politics. Whilst in the meantime, everything else crashes and burns, even before Conoravirus.

Another Indy something party....
    What is our World coming to......scheming to get votes! How awful!
    Ohhhhhh. Skullduggery! Luv that word..........says it all!

There are at least two new independence parties vying for our second votes. They’re run by nobodies and they’ll come to nothing. Mark my words.