Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Google AdSense Adverts now in every post - not good

Default Google AdSense Adverts now in every post - not good

Just had a look at a forum topic this morning and found that every topic answer had a Google AdSense advert placed under it - this is caused by the webmaster allowing Google to automatically place adverts where it sees fit. Google promotes this setting on its AdSense control panel.

In the past Google did not allow webmasters to have more than 3 (1 large) advert placed per page so that it did not just show adverts - there had to be content on the page for the user. With the new auto settings it has messed up this still current rule - adverts everywhere. It annoys me personally, it is not actually the webmasters fault, it is simply that Google relies on artificial intelligence to identify the structure and content of the web page and it sees each response section as a "different page or section". Obviously Google has got it wrong in my opinion.

In the short term it may lead to increased earnings for a forum type website - in the long term it will completely kill the forum.

My advice, switch auto adverts off for forum based software driven websites.

Yup, some of the posts are ‘overshadowed’ by Adverts.....
    Oh well...’free enterprise’!

Don't you use an adblocker?

Never had a prob before/ use North American one. Will investigate.
    I just opened up another Caithness.org page, and the Ads were 2/3 of the page between the narrative.
    Never saw this on any other sites.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 11-Jul-20 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Don't you use an adblocker?
    No, adblockers are not a good thing. You can't (should not) expect websites to provide you with content without some form of revenue.

I thought this site was sponsored by the SNP? You would think it judging by the number of sock puppets active in the politics section.

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    No, adblockers are not a good thing. You can't (should not) expect websites to provide you with content without some form of revenue.
    If using an adblocker gives you a conscience meltdown, you could simply use DuckDuckGo. No adverts in that.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    If using an adblocker gives you a conscience meltdown, you could simply use DuckDuckGo. No adverts in that.
    DuckDuckGo is a search engine and it does use adverts - how else would it financially exist? Orkneycadian you usually talk sense, what has happened this time?

I hadn't realised how bad this had got - adverts everywhere. Is it really not possible to go back to one at the top as it used to be?
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by richardj View Post
    DuckDuckGo is a search engine and it does use adverts - how else would it financially exist? Orkneycadian you usually talk sense, what has happened this time?
    Must be a setting somewhere I guess. My DDG is completely ad free. I have had a look in its settings and there are very few settings - None for ads that I can see - Simply;

Theme
    Autocomplete
    Automatically clear
    Clear on.....
    About
    Feedback

I am using DDG for Android V 5.26.1

Orkneycadian - I am using Windows 10 Edge browser on a desktop - the first two results of most searches on DuckDuckGo are adverts, not sure what it looks like using Android on a phone or tablet - it will definitely still show adverts. If you are using an ad blocker it may interfere with the adverts showing in the search results.

The good thing about DuckDuckGo is the privacy settings - they do not track you unlike Google which does (even when the settings for this are switched off).