Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Lockdown

Default Lockdown

Has anyone learnt a new skill during lockdown? I have learnt to bake although at first it was burnt offering and sacrifices. I make great shortbread and cakes also apple pies (full of apples) not like shop bought ones. also playing a lot of online chess, getting better at it I even some times win.

Well it looks as though all on here have stagnated during lock down.

No, I just, as usual, had a lot of work to do in my garden. Garden takes a lot of my time especially in Spring and early summer. I expect many folk were the same. The lock down did not prevent me from doing my usual activities which are many and varied as I'm blessed to live in a sparsely populated, rural area where social distancing is easy to do so we did long walks as well, as per usual.

Have certainly learnt a few lessons - patience being the main one

For the last 9 weeks I have had to learn how to live without books, music, television, noise, been unable to garden, cook (other than very quick basic), bake, do housework or anything that meant moving much, no exercising, have been unable to concentrate, focus, remember many things.

I acquired an ear infection 9 weeks ago and that was me completely floored and unable to function normally.
    Thanks to all my pals for keeping me sane by answering when I phone yet again to help me pass some of my day. Thanks to all the friends who shopped for food and delivered it.

I have learnt patience and to be so grateful I have such great pals to help me through very rough times.

Did manage to use laptop but only when not too much reading and for short periods.

Now to get back to my allotment, exercising and enjoying life on the outside
    Last edited by pat; 01-Jul-20 at 10:23.

I've learnt how to do my own haircut. The first one was gross, but over time, its now acceptable. Something I'd carry on with.

I've learnt that Netfix/Amazon isn't worth it unless there is something special on. Freeview is not much better.

I've learnt an extra 6 status Quo songs to play on my guitar (sort of..). I have given my 12 string acoustic guitar an overhaul, polish, new lighter strings, truss rod reset, new saddle and action height adjusted, and finally a good tune-up.

......and I've mown the grass..... several times. ;-)

Cheers, JohnDH

Sorry to hear you've not been right.Hope you have recovered fully now.,
    good you have so many friends around you to help

This is for Pat above
    Last edited by Fran; 01-Jul-20 at 18:00.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Sorry to hear about your ear. Hope you have made a full recovery.
    good that you have a lot of friends around you to help
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I have learned that there are basically 2 types of people. Furloughers and Workers. The Furloughers are still clinging onto the hope of another 4 months holiday on 80% pay. The Workers meanwhile have to do their own work, as well as that of a Furlougher, and still pay the taxes that will keep the Furloughers in the manner in which they have now become accustomed.

I am very much looking forward to the day when the Furloughers get told they will have to pay back all their "holiday pay". Why should the rest of the country be paying them to paint their houses, learn how to speak Swahili or develop their gardens? Especially now that its becoming apparent that furlough is effectively that period that comes immediately before redundancy?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    ........... Especially now that its becoming apparent that furlough is effectively that period that comes immediately before redundancy?
    And a good number of companies were well in trouble before covid19. I question the wisdom of furlough when its being blatently abused at coporate level.

The governments (Westminster and Holyrood) were also rather naive in thinking that paying out all that money would be effective. We now have those that could go back to work, but don't want to and all they have to do is play the "I don't think its safe" card. Did the governments not see that one coming? They should have said right at the start that furlough money was to be repaid, over say 5 years, by anyone that took it. Instead, its become a total free for all, and cost the country vast sums of money that we don't even have. Back in January, this clock;

https://www.nationaldebtclock.co.uk/

Was running at about 1.8 trillion pounds. Now its up to 2.3, and I suspect that that is seriously underestimated and has a bit of catching up to do.

So, I sincerely hope that all the furloughers have been using the time, and the money wisely to skill up on new skills that will be useful to the economy when they finally get off their backsides and get back to work. It would be such a shame if they have blown all that time, and our countries money, on alcohol, Netflix and bedding plants for their gardens.

A post in the style of the Daily Mail, if ever there was one, from Orkneycadian.

"The governments (Westminster and Holyrood) were also rather naive in thinking that paying out all that money would be effective.". Where is your evidence for this?

"We now have those that could go back to work, but don't want to...". Where is your evidence for this?

"Instead, its (sic) become a total free for all...." Where is your evidence for this?

"I suspect that that is seriously underestimated and has a bit of catching up to do.". Where is you evidence for this?

"It would be such a shame if they have blown all that time, and our countries money, on alcohol, Netflix and bedding plants for their gardens.". Where is your evidence for this?

My apologies; I don't mean to contribute to the hijacking this thread by Orkneycadian but I couldn't let that last post go without comment.

In my opinion the 2 main reasons for the Furlough scheme where...

1. The Universal Credit system wouldn't have been able to cope with so many new claims.

2. They didn't want 9 million people suddenly realising just how badly the unemployed get treated.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I guess no-one has rainy day savings these days to tide them over such events? Instead its likely spend it as soon as you get it (or even before). After all, a 60" HD TV is a lot more important than knowing you can provide for your family in harder times.