Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Moving up north

Default Moving up north

Hi there.. I'm considering moving up north.. To the Wick /thurso area quite soon.. I'd be looking for a small cottage. Detached or semi detached... Terraced.. Need a garden for the hounds .. Have been looking on zoopla and local websites.. Am gonna head up for a couple of days to just get a feel for the area.. .myself.. and my 2 boxer dogs.. As for work.. Iv been working for royal mail for 32 years.. And fancy a change.. Looking to take things easier.. I used to fly birds of prey.. Love photography.. And jogging.. Exploring wi the dogs and living a relaxing life is what I'm after.. So.. Looking for advice from those in the know.. At 52..im winding down.. Downsizing.. But still looking to work.. Just not as many hours.. Cheers.. Steve

Hi, it is lovely up here in all ways and I hope that you feel that it is so when you come up here for your visit. It is a long, dark winter though and we have a lot of high winds so you will notice that if you do come up here to live.
    As regards the dogs, there are not many places that welcome dogs running free off the lead. The estates require dogs to be kept on leads on their tracks so although there is lovely, spectacular countryside and landscape and 'freedom to roam', do bear that in mind. The fields are full of livestock and farmers and crofters certainly don't welcome dogs off leads. You can take them to the beaches and to the Forestry Commission sites though to give them a good run.
    It's a great place for birds of prey and all wildlife- and photography so those boxes are ticked!

The beach is good enough for me.. Thanks.. I love getting away wi the dogs.. Not a problem there.. Hopefully find a few welcoming places for the pups outwith the estates.. But thanks for that info.. Appreciate that..

If your dogs have a good recall there are loads of places to explore, (I have three Boxers). You can also get a lot more bang for your buck than down South, good luck with your move and if your visit Wick come and see me in Birons Ironmongers.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Brilliant.. I may pop up Sunday and kip in the van overnight wi the dogs.. And have a look round Monday.. If I do. You open Monday? Cheers..

Quote Originally Posted by Ndodge4 View Post
    Brilliant.. I may pop up Sunday and kip in the van overnight wi the dogs.. And have a look round Monday.. If I do. You open Monday? Cheers..
    We do, bring the dogs in to see us, its a dog friendly shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    As regards the dogs, there are not many places that welcome dogs running free off the lead. The estates require dogs to be kept on leads on their tracks so although there is lovely, spectacular countryside and landscape and 'freedom to roam', do bear that in mind. The fields are full of livestock and farmers and crofters certainly don't welcome dogs off leads. You can take them to the beaches and to the Forestry Commission sites though to give them a good run.
    Its worthy for dog owners to note a draft bill that proposes to update existing livestock worrying legislation to improve deterrence, but also expand on the definition of livestock to bring it more up to date, and include species such as llama, alpaca, buffalo, etc

https://www.farminguk.com/news/msps-...ing_55959.html

MSPs seek views on tougher penalties for livestock worrying

99 miles to go.. Might not see you until tomorrow..the puos are only 15 weeks.. Stopping a lot for the views and a wee break ��

Great to have met you and your gorgeous pups, we hope your trip North was a fruitful one and would like to see you again in the future.

Thanks mate.. The travelling and sleeping in the van fair tired me out.. And the beach walks.. Sadly.. Couldn't stay another day.. Not fair on the pups to be in the van all that time.. The bloody gulls kept us awake at night.. But we had a blast.. 3 out the 4 places I was to see.. Were under offer.. Still looking.. Will see you again.. Your wife loved the dogs haha.. And I met a lot of lovely folk too.. Mostly on the beach ����

Hi Steve,I have PMd you.

Quote Originally Posted by MCL1960 View Post
    Hi Steve,I have PMd you.
    Got it.. Ta