Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: One Law For.......

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

In the middle of one of the most serious situations we have encountered, the headlines are about 2 guys who committed a ‘minor variance’!
    Should we give our ‘heads a shake’.
    I’m not talking about ‘On Here’..........I’m talking about International Headlines. Gawd!

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    In the middle of one of the most serious situations we have encountered, the headlines are about 2 guys who committed a ‘minor variance’!
    Should we give our ‘heads a shake’.
    I’m not talking about ‘On Here’..........I’m talking about International Headlines. Gawd!
    That depends on what you term a "minor variance". A "minor variance" in the rules in a pandemic situation can lead to more infections and more deaths, particularly if you are quite deliberately travelling from a place with tens of thousands of coronavirus cases to a place with tens of them....and carrying a carful of coronavirus with you into the bargain. When does a "minor variance" become a major one......when dozens of others are infected by your actions and some of them die....or does being able to do what you want, despite all the rules you helped write for others to obey, trump the health of everybody you are liable to come into contact with, including that of your elderly parents?

My opinion, and who cares, but this is Bloody Politics!
    The time spent on this could save lives!
    With what is going on in the World, with 75% of those arriving in Countries not following Self Isolation, this is ‘sma’ tatties’!
    i think, lets pick a better battle!
    Of course, just my Objective opinion!
    Discussions by us, is not my criticism! Ty.

My opinion, and who cares, but this is Bloody Politics!
    The time spent on this could save lives!
    With what is going on in the World, with 75% of those arriving in Countries not following Self Isolation, this is ‘sma’ tatties’!
    i think, lets pick a better battle!
    Of course, just my Objective opinion!
    Discussions by us, is not my criticism! Ty.
    Politics it certainly is (did you notice the name of the forum?) but politics doesn't exist in a vacuum, but influences everything in the country, and if those of us who live in the country want to discuss the way politics affects us or irritates us, why can't we?

Why not just ignore posts which, in your opinion, from your Canadian armchair, are "sma' tatties" and save your typing fingers for something much more suited to your way of looking at things...and just let those of us who think that either this government, with a buffoon at its head, is the most incompetent in our lifetimes or Boris Johnson and the Tories are the greatest thing since sliced bread, get on with discussing the "sma' tatties" they plant, if we so wish. If you didn't post on subjects you so obviously think are an unimportant waste of energy, nobody would feel obliged to respond to you and the threads which appear to irritate you would be much shorter.

I doth agree with you!
    But when it is planted in Int’l headlines, it doesn’t make anyone look good.
    In the 1800’s hundreds of people stormed Wick over something or other they didn’t feel happy with. I think it was a Tax!
    I have said already...Take up the Cause......get involved at the Ground Roots Level and make a difference!
    Did I say already that if you get rid of Boris The Clown, you will just have another Clown. Yes I did!
    The UK is making a ‘spectacle’ of itself on the World Stage.......how ‘stooooopid’ is that! Grin and bear it!
    There will be another day!
    And Smile!
    Perhaps it is better the one you know; at least you will be prepared.
    Again Boris got in Democratically......well maybe, but he got in as PM.
    Would you rather Alex? Or ‘Hersel!.....
    Last edited by The Horseman; 27-May-20 at 16:03.

I doth agree with you!
    But when it is planted in Int’l headlines, it doesn’t make anyone look good.
    In the 1800’s hundreds of people stormed Wick over something or other they didn’t feel happy with. I think it was a Tax!
    I have said already...Take up the Cause......get involved at the Ground Roots Level and make a difference!
    Did I say already that if you get rid of Boris The Clown, you will just have another Clown. Yes I did!
    The UK is making a ‘spectacle’ of itself on the World Stage.......how ‘stooooopid’ is that! Grin and bear it!
    There will be another day!
    And Smile!
    Perhaps it is better the one you know; at least you will be prepared.
    Again Boris got in Democratically......well maybe, but he got in as PM.
    Would you rather Alex? Or ‘Hersel!.....
    I'd rather not be a part of the UK at all...but you know that...and the FPTP electoral system is not democracy. Without compulsory voting, FPTP is deliberately set up to be nothing but an elected buggin's turn dictatorship to keep one of two political parties in power under the guise of that being the recipe for "strong and stable government" (insert hollow laughter here!). I'm not overly keen on the Scottish hybrid version of voting for Holyrood either, but it is just marginally better than the Westminster system...but then I've never quite understood this notion of having dedicated constituency MPs/MSPs in the first place, particularly as so many of them didn't even clap eyes on the constituency until they got put on the short-list for it. One person with one vote that might actually count for something would be much better. I don't particularly care who is a prime minister in an independent Scotland...as long as the majority of Scots elect it, it'll do for me, whatever the colour of its government....though I'd prefer an elected rainbow consensus rather than red, blue orange, yellow, green or any other single party political colour.

UK inhabitants do queuing up in obedience much more readily than they do rioting in anger...and it would take a heckuva lot of co-ordinated rioting all over the UK to make even a dent in the sense of superiority and "we know best" from whichever government is in power in Westminster, when you consider that over a million marching in London in protest at the war in Iraq, one of the biggest marches held in the UK, didn't make one iota of difference to the decision of the Government, which still went in there and kicked the crap out of the place and people. You have to have a Government that listens to more than the voices in their own heads, the whispers of special advisors, or the rustle of cash heading into back pockets or party bank accounts before there is any real point in rioting...and we haven't had one of them for most of my lifetime in the UK...and most definitely do not have one that listens now. Anyway, as long as the government controls the police and the Army, I suspect we are not about to have a revolution...that would be too much like working together...and Westminster would stamp their feet hard.

Seems like Mr Stewart has followed in Mr Cummings footsteps by explaining his actions. Seems not to be 100% accepted by the local MSP however.....

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/mcarthur-...hiefs-apology/

And seems to be further exacerbated by his daughter coming up to Orkney to stay with him, under the premise that she is a student nurse, "up here to gain experience on the frontline"

Now, I don't know what Caithness hospitals have been like over the last few months, but here in Orkney, The Balfour is apparently like a ghost town (no pun intended). There are no, occasionally rarely, any COVID patients, there are no routing procedure patients, A&E is extremely quiet and even the GP surgeries are very quiet. So its not clear what kind of frontline his daughter was experiencing. I do hear from some staff members that they have never drunk so much tea in all their lives to pass the time.

At a time of minimising travel, it might have been more appropriate for Miss Stewart to have gained her experience at Raigmore, where there might have been more going on, and there would be no need to commute across the Pentland Firth, like Daddy.

And still the Scottish Government think that this is all in order.