Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Very Dark Future

I think that you should take that shocking statement back. Shame on you. Actually, people working on public transport (buses and trains) have died from the virus and almost certainly they contracted it at work. Definitely so in the case of the poor lady who, with her colleague, was spat on at Victoria station in London by a man claiming to be infected. Both went down with the virus and she died having just been doing her job.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    All of the unions, Scottish or UK, are doing their damndest to 'flatten the curve' by trying to keep their members home for as long as possible, on 80% taxpayer funded pay, whilst they do nothing / do up their houses, gardens etc, even though the work their members do / did do is key.

Employers in England are now saying their employees don't want to return from furlough, even though they can and its safe for them to do so. They would rather do nothing for 80% pay than their job for 100%. And if their employer questions that, then the employee / union member just needs to trot out the "I don't feel safe" line. But the same employee, in feeling that its not safe to return to their work as, say a tube train driver, nicely isolated in the cab at the front, will happily head out to Costa for a takeaway coffee or B&Q for some DIY products. And of course the unions are insisting that all that danger, somehow becomes less if more money is available......
    What an appalling set of views you possess. I just cannot believe that someone would be so bitter as to publish something like this. Mind you, on second thoughts you are mirroring what the English government are doing and doling out blame, mostly to the medical and scientific communities, for the mess that was made of the Covid19 response.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    What an appalling set of views you possess. I just cannot believe that someone would be so bitter as to publish something like this. Mind you, on second thoughts you are mirroring what the English government are doing and doling out blame, mostly to the medical and scientific communities, for the mess that was made of the Covid19 response.
    So why do you/we need all the Migrant Workers? Simple Q!
    Corky...... Every Country has had Probs! No one is getting an A Grade!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 20-May-20 at 13:05.

What? I'm sorry but I genuinely don't understand what you are asking and how that relates to the text you quoted. I will be happy to respond if you can provide a bit more information.

However, the last time you asked a "simple Q" and I answered it you chose not to comment on my reply so I wonder if there is any point.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    What? I'm sorry but I genuinely don't understand what you are asking and how that relates to the text you quoted. I will be happy to respond if you can provide a bit more information.

However, the last time you asked a "simple Q" and I answered it you chose not to comment on my reply so I wonder if there is any point.
    There is some truth in OCadians statement.
    If those people worked who will do ‘nothing’, we would not need Migrant workers!
    Not only the UK..many other Countries!

Corky...Democratically, the Pro Separation group lost the vote!
    Accept the outcome.
    Is is true the SNP is secretly stashing money away for another GO at at Breaking.....Better Together.
    I like the ‘ring’ of the words!

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Corky...Democratically, the Pro Separation group lost the vote!
    Accept the outcome.
    Is is true the SNP is secretly stashing money away for another GO at at Breaking.....Better Together.
    I like the ‘ring’ of the words!
    I have been a supporter of independence for well over 50 years. Do you seriously think I am going to give up on that just because of one vote. Do you give up on your dreams just because of one setback? No, I don't imagine you do, so why do you expect independence supporters to do it?
    I have no knowledge of the SNP's financial situation. I am not a member of any political party.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I think that you should take that shocking statement back. Shame on you.
    Feel free to be as offended as you like. A recent poll on the Orcadian website - https://www.orcadian.co.uk/online-po...-or-stay-home/ returned almost 80% saying they wanted to retain the "Stay at Home" mantra. But here in Orkney, you would swear that lockdown passed us by. Traffic levels have remained laregly normal throughout, and there are far more people out walking, cycling, running, exercising dogs, painting their houses, doing gardening. Joe Public has no problem going to the hardware shops to buy materials for home projects, even though such shops are only supposed to be open for essential supplies only.

Even here in Orkney, we have folk who are delighted to be at home, being paid 80% of their wages to either do nothing, or work on their pet projects. And just like down the country, when the suggestion comes along of relaxation of the rules, its "Oh no, we couldn't possibly support that - I still haven't finished redecorating the house, er, I mean, its not safe - Anyway, I can't speak any longer, I must nip up to Highland Industrial Supplies for some more paintbrushes and lawn feed, then pop in past the chip shop to get some tea to bring home"

Its happening here in Orkney, its happening in Caithness and all across Scotland and the UK. Come July, the government will ramp down furlough payments, and employers will be expected to pick up a part of it. That will send even more firms under. You can bet that in Scotland, Nicola is not going to say "So in England, they are ramping furlough payments down to 60%, but here in Scotland we are actually going to ramp them up to 100% just to show good we are as a government". Nope, she has no cash and can only depend on what the UK gives her. Meanwhile, we will have all the folk wondering if they should just accept the 60% anyway and continue the "its not safe to return to the office because even though I am at least 5 metres away from my co-workers, I don't think its safe - But keep paying me the 60% anyway please"

The title of this thread is correct - It will be a very dark future - But an almost wholly self inflicted one. With an awful lot of folk wishing that this virus was kept out of the country at the beginning after all.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    she has no cash and can only depend on what the UK gives her.
    If that's not an argument for Scottish independence I don't know what is.

You have had 5 cases in Orkney and 2 deaths (and don't get me wrong, that's 2 too many) and no more cases recently and yet you cast slurs on people working to keep public transport moving in the major cities (and have done throughout) so that folk like my nurse daughter could get to her work (on the front line) in London. So yes, I do still say that you should retract your statement, living, as you do in the, by comparison, safe haven of Orkney.

I agree to a point with OCadian.
    We in North AmerIca have the same thing.
    I don’t thinks its a slur. Its a fact of life......not for all.

You have had 5 cases in Orkney and 2 deaths (and don't get me wrong, that's 2 too many) and no more cases recently and yet you cast slurs on people working to keep public transport moving in the major cities (and have done throughout) so that folk like my nurse daughter could get to her work (on the front line) in London. So yes, I do still say that you should retract your statement, living, as you do in the, by comparison, safe haven of Orkney.
    Feel free to substitute tube driver with any other unionised occupation where this is being milked for all its worth. And even outside unions, any employee who is presently on furlough (moreso in England at the moment due to Nicola's desire to be different from Boris for the sake of it) who realises that they can spin out their paid holiday a bit longer yet, just by claiming its not safe. They would get a lot more sympathy for their safety concerns if they locked themselves in. But here we have a picture of Southend on Sea beach earlier in the week;

Source = https://www.essexlive.news/news/esse...coming-4151902

So here we have folk on a Wednesday afternoon, who are so desperately concerned for their safety whilst in proximity to others, that they simply cannot find a way to go back to work. I wonder how many of the folk in the picture above have been asked to come back in to their workplace, which their employer has made safe for them, only to reply that its not safe. Then headed off to the beach?
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 22-May-20 at 12:41. Reason: Grammatical modifications

So, point me out the ones who are tube, train or bus drivers in that photo.

So, point me out the ones who are tube, train or bus drivers in that photo.
    Gonna be hard to pick them out with Essex Live having pixelated the only recognisable faces. But;

Are any English bus drivers furloughed? Yes - https://www.ft.com/content/851fe007-...b-17abca01435e

Is there an undercapacity on buses in the South East, leading to difficulties for other key workers to get to their key jobs, for example, nurses? Yes - https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/13/pictu...work-12694839/

Whats the probability of there being a furloughed bus driver on Southend beach in that picture? High

Well, many are furloughed because the policy still is to keep people off public transport ergo they are running fewer buses and trains- or were, at least! People are being applauded for NOT going on buses and trains. No doubt many of the currently furloughed will sadly find themselves without a job eventually and through no fault of there own though of course, you won't ever accept that.

And the trouble is with so many bus drivers being on furlough, is that key workers, like nurses, then have to cram onto very full buses in order to get to their place of key work.

Google is now full of opposing legal opinions from the vulture lawyers, some looking to gain clients who don't want to go back to work whilst they can still get paid 80% for doing nothing, whilst others are looking to gain clients in employers who's staff will not come back, even though its been made safe for them to do so. Of course, most of this is in England.

And I agree, there are going to be a tremendous number unemployed after this. But are they blameless? Possibly, possibly not. If they have in the past, turned up their nose at the prospect of a secure border (like Australia and New Zealand have), then they have contributed to the situation. If they went on a holiday in January / February / March then cried out to be rescued by the government, after travelling abroad knowing what was coming, definitely not. If they could have gone back to work safely in England, but thought an 80% paid holiday was a much better bet, then absolutely.

Ah, seems that my article on the matter, under my journalistic pen name of Simon Walters, has been published - https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-rapidly.html

Definitely so in the case of the poor lady who, with her colleague, was spat on at Victoria station in London by a man claiming to be infected. Both went down with the virus and she died
    Maybe not as definite as you first thought....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-52853859

Coronavirus: Death of Belly Mujinga 'not linked to spit attack'

Last edited by orkneycadian; 29-May-20 at 23:16.

Well, she almost certainly contracted the virus while at work and that is the central point.

She was also a lady with a fuller figure. Unfortunately, along with things like being diabetic, from an ethnic minority, etc, then this makes risks of complications or death higher. Sadly.

Only now are we starting to see some of the patterns. Yesterday on the news, they were saying that people of Bangladeshi origin are twice as likely to die than white British people. Yet people of Pakistani origin are only slightly more at risk than white British people. Not getting why such a difference between Pakistani and Bangladeshi.

But diabetics are apparently making up 20% of the deaths. Again sadly.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast