Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 183

Thread: A Very Dark Future

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1

    Default A Very Dark Future

    Deeply worrying news this morning.

    BBC News suggesting that the Covid19 pandemic will bring about the worst recession in 300 years. Meanwhile, Sky News are reporting that Brexit talks are close to breaking down, increasing the likelihood of us not getting a deal with the EU.

    Hunker down. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,116

    Default

    Not to worry , the Tories are in charge . Nice of them to tell the taxpayers " it's your debt and your debt alone, not the rich mans debt" . Be safe ,vote Tory .

  3. #3

    Default

    I doubt very much that whoever was in Power when this started, would have done any better!
    Smaller Countries generally had less probs with travellers returning.
    We will all survive. Remember Y2K!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I doubt very much that whoever was in Power when this started, would have done any better!
    Smaller Countries generally had less probs with travellers returning.
    We will all survive. Remember Y2K!
    I doubt that whoever was in power when this thing started could have done any worse. We have made a bigger mess of it than just about every other country in the world bar the USA and Brazil..and it remains to be seen if the early lifting of lockdown restrictions increase or decrease our infection and death totals. I suspect they'll start going up again.

    Smaller countries closed or restricted their airports sooner...or used PPE, testing and quarantine on arrivals and didn't just let them swan in. It is only now that we are setting up a pilot, for the love of pete, so how long will it be until it is rolled out to all airports?

    We will survive only to have the coronavirus shambles blamed on the hand-picked scientists, the EU and ourselves for not obeying the "rules", and the general population (except the relatively wealthy and the filthy rich) being hammered by increased austerity to pay for the money wasted by the government, as they sat back, twiddling their thumbs and let the virus run riot without sorting out tests, PPE and ventilators.

  5. #5

    Default

    Compare us....Canada with close to 40 Million population. We had the same prob!

    1.3 million tested
    77,000 confirmed infected.
    5,700 Deaths.
    75/80% elderly, with an underlying condition. Many in Care Homes.
    Thousands flew back home...arrived and received a piece of paper Saying isolate.
    And shortage of everything!
    One of the reasons is that N95 Masks and Gloves had a 24 month ‘shelf life’! They were being replaced and the out of date ones were thrown out!
    It is simply a Human failing! My opinion!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Compare us....Canada with close to 40 Million population. We had the same prob!

    1.3 million tested
    77,000 confirmed infected.
    5,700 Deaths.
    75/80% elderly, with an underlying condition. Many in Care Homes.
    Thousands flew back home...arrived and received a piece of paper Saying isolate.
    And shortage of everything!
    One of the reasons is that N95 Masks and Gloves had a 24 month ‘shelf life’! They were being replaced and the out of date ones were thrown out!
    It is simply a Human failing! My opinion!
    Come on, you can't compare Canada's 153 deaths per million and 77,000 infected with the UK's 511 deaths per million and 243,000+ infected and say Canada had the same problem. Did Canada decide to let the virus do its worst in the provinces for a few weeks, solely in order to save the economy by building up herd immunity, before doing anything of use or ornament?

    Do you really think that it makes incompetency any more acceptable, in what was once a country which advised others on how to deal with pandemics, to say that this time other countries were just as incompetent as they were?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    She was also a lady with a fuller figure. Unfortunately, along with things like being diabetic, from an ethnic minority, etc, then this makes risks of complications or death higher. Sadly.

    Only now are we starting to see some of the patterns. Yesterday on the news, they were saying that people of Bangladeshi origin are twice as likely to die than white British people. Yet people of Pakistani origin are only slightly more at risk than white British people. Not getting why such a difference between Pakistani and Bangladeshi.

    But diabetics are apparently making up 20% of the deaths. Again sadly.

  8. #8

    Default

    Well, there we have it!

    The UK economy in freefall with GDP down 20%; 20 years for the economy to recover; the Covid19 response an utter shambles; the EU saying that all goods imported from the UK will be subject to full customs checks from January 2021; trade talks with the EU faltering and the hardest of hard Brexits on the horizon.

    The UK's broad shoulders, that we heard so much about in the lead up to IndyRef1, have slumped rather alarmingly, don't you think?

    Still glad you voted "No" in 2014?

    Fortunately, we will have an escape route via IndyRef2 sometime soon.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Well, there we have it!

    The UK economy in freefall with GDP down 20%; 20 years for the economy to recover; the Covid19 response an utter shambles; the EU saying that all goods imported from the UK will be subject to full customs checks from January 2021; trade talks with the EU faltering and the hardest of hard Brexits on the horizon.

    The UK's broad shoulders, that we heard so much about in the lead up to IndyRef1, have slumped rather alarmingly, don't you think?

    Still glad you voted "No" in 2014?

    Fortunately, we will have an escape route via IndyRef2 sometime soon.
    And you forgot to mention the very real prospect of becoming the USA's 51st State as Trump & Co dictate our trade (and probably other) laws and take over the few public services have left.

  10. #10

    Default

    A Question......Where is the money coming from to have Ref2?

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    A Question......Where is the money coming from to have Ref2?
    The same place the money comes from to fund other government policies - public funds. IndyRef 2 has been included in every SNP manifesto since 2014. The SNP said, before the last Holyrood election, that if we elected them they would hold a second independence referendum. Holding IndyRef2 is merely carrying out their manifesto promise. It is, after all, the expectation of the electorate that an elected party does what is said it would do if it were elected. That being the case public funds will be used just like they would be to fulfil other manifesto pledges. The public have "authorised" the expenditure by voting them into government.

    You and the other BritNats on here would be the first to complain if the SNP did not carry out their manifesto pledges. So, stop complaining about a government actually doing what it said it would do.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Self Centred comes to mind here!
    Horseman, you have an uncanny knack of hitting the nail on the head.

    To understand why, in relation to the above quote from you, we need to go back to a statement made by the seperatists in the run up to the EU Referendum. The Scottish separatists absolutely insisted that it was not permissible for a part of the UK to be dragged out of the EU against its will. They said that every part of the UK would have to vote to leave for the UK result to be valid.

    So they have set the bar.

    Now, for a Scotland wide SCEXIT vote to be valid, then every part of Scotland must vote Yes. That includes Orkney and Shetland. With a 67% No vote at the last referendum, there's an awful long way for them to go yet. And I am not aware of anyone in Orkney who has changed from No to Yes.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Now, for a Scotland wide SCEXIT vote to be valid, then every part of Scotland must vote Yes. That includes Orkney and Shetland. With a 67% No vote at the last referendum, there's an awful long way for them to go yet. And I am not aware of anyone in Orkney who has changed from No to Yes.
    You could always have your own referendum to rejoin Norway.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Indeed, that's a possibility. Though after Orkney and Shetland voted overwhelmingly to remain part of the UK in 2014, then there is more likliehood that should we be dragged out of the UK against our will, that the appetite would be to leave Scotland and rejoin the UK.

  15. #15

    Default

    As well as all the other groups and individuals on his hit list Orkneycadian really seems to hate Scotland. It would nice, just for once, for him to say something positive about his country, wouldn't it?

  16. #16

    Default

    I see Orkney’s point.
    He, I and many many others, are looking at the pic from a different angle.
    New Zealand is of a comparable size, but they are unique. In addition, they get their Army to keep the Self Isolators at home!
    Can u imagine that in the UK!
    ********This is not a time for Division. Brexit, Covid and the Physical and Economical Health of the UK is at risk, and all a few of you can talk about is IndyRef!
    Analyze what I have just said.........think about it. Imagine this as a War! Where would we be without Allies!
    It’s really a ‘better together time’. Make love not war! Legalize DOPE like we did in Canada. Be happy U have food on the table!
    Just my thoughts.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    I see Orkney’s point.
    He, I and many many others, are looking at the pic from a different angle.
    New Zealand is of a comparable size, but they are unique. In addition, they get their Army to keep the Self Isolators at home!
    Can u imagine that in the UK!
    ********This is not a time for Division. Brexit, Covid and the Physical and Economical Health of the UK is at risk, and all a few of you can talk about is IndyRef!
    Analyze what I have just said.........think about it. Imagine this as a War! Where would we be without Allies!
    It’s really a ‘better together time’. Make love not war! Legalize DOPE like we did in Canada. Be happy U have food on the table!
    Just my thoughts.
    What utter twaddle. You and all the other Unionists have been deploying these types of argument since IndyRef1 was announced. You use any issue, however large or small, to say Scotland couldn't cope on its own and is better off in the Union. I mean, Phillip Hammond (former Sec of State for Defence) even questioned Scotland's ability to fend off alien invaders if we became independent. Pardon me if I don't take these ridiculous assertions too seriously. If the Union is so good how come, after 313 years, of the Union a majority of Scots (54%) want to leave it? Doesn't seem to be working too well does it? If it was a proper Union and Scotland wasn't treated like a colony to be pillaged when required then perhaps fewer people (not me, though) would be content to stay in the UK.

    Your comparison between the UK and NZ doesn't stand up to scrutiny. HMG have employed the army to carry out normally civilian duties on many occasions - mostly to break trades union strikes. They were also on stand-by to ensure public compliance with rules during the current Covid19 crisis.

    You say this is not the time for division. I imagine then you must be in favour of abandoning Brexit. If we are weaker divided then surely we should remain in the EU. I tell you what, let's have an independent Scotland in the EU. That would mean Scotland having a seat at the table of the largest economic trading group in the world. Seems like a much better deal than being shackled to the lame dog that is the UK.

  18. #18

    Default

    54%......What a a huge Majority.
    Follow your Dreams at a later time. Time for working together......but U and your like won’t! ‘Tis sad really!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 24-Jun-20 at 22:19.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    3,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Quoting Oddquine......We do not support Westminster's goal of getting the economy back on track regardless of how many people die of coronavirus as a result.
    How many folk in the UK have actually died of Coronavirus, as opposed to the commonly cited "with Coronavirus"?

    I suspect more folk have died with grey or white hair since January than have died with Coronavirus. Dangerous stuff that grey / white hair.....

  20. #20

    Default

    It’s just the extreme ‘sentiment’ that gets me.
    I would never have expected it from a True Scot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •