Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: A Very Dark Future

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    54%......What a a huge Majority.
    Follow your Dreams at a later time. Time for working together......but U and your like won’t! ‘Tis sad really!
    Translation: 54% (for your side) is a tiny majority. So tiny in fact that it can safely be disregarded as meaningless. 55% (for my side) is a huge majority. It is so overwhelming, in fact, that there shouldn't be another IndyRef for a million years.
    Disregard your lifelong dreams. Ditch everything you have ever believed in and worked for so that I don't have to confront the uncomfortable truth that Scotland would be better served by being independent.

My opinion.....work with The Devil if it helps this problem........
    My opinion.....the only problems we in Scotland have with how to best deal with this pandemic, and its consequences to the Scottish economy going forward, is being shackled to an England which ignores us, not having access to all our own income to use for our own purposes and, unlike Wetminster, not having a magic money tree which allows us to borrow as much as we want, when we want. If we are to work with the Devil...why should it be the Devil elected up by another country.interested only in the health of the economy of London and the south, to the detriment of the health of the population....and not the Devil we elect for ourselves and can remove by the tick of a box on a ballot paper?

However, we do all vote in the General Election don't we.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    However, we do all vote in the General Election don't we.
    Not sure I'm interpreting your point correctly but here goes anyway.

Scotland invariably gets the government England votes for. It's a simple as that. So although we all have a vote, if you happen to vote in a Scottish constituency then your vote is virtually worthless. It does nothing to affect the outcome of a UK GE. Only voters in England have any impact on the result.

Have I misinterpreted your point? If so then I apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Not sure I'm interpreting your point correctly but here goes anyway.

Scotland invariably gets the government England votes for. It's a simple as that. So although we all have a vote, if you happen to vote in a Scottish constituency then your vote is virtually worthless. It does nothing to affect the outcome of a UK GE. Only voters in England have any impact on the result.

Have I misinterpreted your point? If so then I apologise.
    To be fair...if England is failrly evenly split between Buggins 1 and Buggins 2, we (and Wales) can make a difference...if you count popular vote as the determinant of who people want to see in charge and not the number of seats gained in an election, we have managed to elect the UK Government for a short time on three occasions in the 21 elections since 1945.

In 1951, the English popular vote for Labour and Tory was equal at 48.8%, so the seats from Scotland and Wales gave the UK a Tory Government with a 17 seat majority. Similarly in 1964, the English popular vote was marginally for the Tories by 0.8%..but with the Welsh and Scottish Labour seats, the UK got a Labour Government with a seat majority of 4. And the same thing again in 1974, Tories won the popular vote by 0.7% of votes cast, but Scottish (and Welsh) seats enabled the formation of a Labour minority Government.

Other than that, all we can do is increase the number of seats held. As far as I can see, the UK has had the Government England voted for in 18 out of 21 elections and Scotland got the government it voted for in 11 of them (the Labour Governments and the two Tory Governments in 1951 and 1955) up until 2010 when we stopped voting for either Buggins 1 or 2, so obviously none since then.

What you, the Indy Reformists can do, is support the ‘common goal’ at the present time, until we get thru this mess and come out ‘the other side alive’ , then throw yourselves at the next Ref. 2/3/4. Who knows.
    Be part of the solution, not the Problem.
    I am sure u believe in your ideas, but now ‘ain’t’ the time!

@ Oddquine. I take your point but with a reduced number of MPs in Scotland it is very unlikely to happen again. Buggins 1 & 2 have both peed on their chips so far as winning the popular vote in Scotland is concerned. At the present time and with a majority of 80, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference if every single voter in Scotland voted Labour: the Tories would still have won. Labour disagree and still say winning in Scotland is the only way to oust the Tories from Westminster even though it is clearly not the case. Maybe simple arithmetic is beyond them or, more likely, they are just liars.

Add into the mix the impact of English Votes for English Laws (EVEL). This further reduces the potential influence Scotland has at Westminster as no UK party could ever again have an MP from a Scottish constituency as its leader. Constitutionally you cannot have a situation where a PM proposes legislation that s/he is barred from voting on because their constituency is in Scotland.

@ The Horseman. We are the solution. You and your like are the problem. There is no time like the present.

What you, the Indy Reformists can do, is support the ‘common goal’ at the present time, until we get thru this mess and come out ‘the other side alive’ , then throw yourselves at the next Ref. 2/3/4. Who knows.
    Be part of the solution, not the Problem.
    I am sure u believe in your ideas, but now ‘ain’t’ the time!
    We are supporting the common goal...we're not out marching, delivering leaflets or knocking on random doors to persuade No-voters and some of us have been stuck indoors posting on places like this since 23rd March. We do not support Westminster's goal of getting the economy back on track regardless of how many people die of coronavirus as a result...and why should we? Nobody, to my knowledge has ever said, since coronavirus reared its head, "now is the time"...but the time will come, and we need to be ready to go once the coronavirus problem has lessened ...around which time the effects of Brexit will be kicking in..so we are preparing. Why do you have a problem with that? Can't you just stop reading our posts if they irritate you so much that you repeat your mantra of "Do what Westminster tells you...the Union is great" in different ways all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    @ Oddquine. I take your point but with a reduced number of MPs in Scotland it is very unlikely to happen again. Buggins 1 & 2 have both peed on their chips so far as winning the popular vote in Scotland is concerned. At the present time and with a majority of 80, it wouldn't have made a blind bit of difference if every single voter in Scotland voted Labour: the Tories would still have won. Labour disagree and still say winning in Scotland is the only way to oust the Tories from Westminster even though it is clearly not the case. Maybe simple arithmetic is beyond them or, more likely, they are just liars.

Add into the mix the impact of English Votes for English Laws (EVEL). This further reduces the potential influence Scotland has at Westminster as no UK party could ever again have an MP from a Scottish constituency as its leader. Constitutionally you cannot have a situation where a PM proposes legislation that s/he is barred from voting on because their constituency is in Scotland.

@ The Horseman. We are the solution. You and your like are the problem. There is no time like the present.
    I know...with my post I was just pre-empting the unionists bleating about the number of times Scotland has decided the UK Government. The three times I noted are the only times Scotland has put in a UK Government England didn't vote for...because English voters needed, on those occasions, to have someone else make up their minds for them.

From Oddquine****************** We do not support Westminster's goal of getting the economy back on track regardless of how many people die of coronavirus as a result...and why should we? Nobody, to my knowledge has ever said, since coronavirus reared its head, "now is the time"...but the time will come**********

What a statement...quite frightening I wud say!

From Oddquine****************** We do not support Westminster's goal of getting the economy back on track regardless of how many people die of coronavirus as a result...and why should we? Nobody, to my knowledge has ever said, since coronavirus reared its head, "now is the time"...but the time will come**********

What a statement...quite frightening I wud say!
    What I find quite frightening is you thinking that us not supporting Westminster's goal of of getting the economy back on track regardless of how many people die of coronavirus as a result is quite frightening. Why do you think that?

I don't really understand why you find Nobody, to my knowledge has ever said, since coronavirus reared its head, "now is the time"...but the time will come quite frightening. Care to explain?

I shall leave that to others who may wish to reply.
    My thot.....Naaaa... Too stoooopid!

Quoting Oddquine......We do not support Westminster's goal of getting the economy back on track regardless of how many people die of coronavirus as a result.
    How many folk in the UK have actually died of Coronavirus, as opposed to the commonly cited "with Coronavirus"?

I suspect more folk have died with grey or white hair since January than have died with Coronavirus. Dangerous stuff that grey / white hair.....

It’s just the extreme ‘sentiment’ that gets me.
    I would never have expected it from a True Scot.

So, what's your definition of a "True Scot"?

And what is your definition of extreme "sentiment"?

I give up.....One Track Minds! Bye....

Again, Horseman, you hit the nail on the head. The divisionists are more commonly referred to as One Trick Ponies, but I guess even a One Trick Pony must have a one track mind.

Scotland's future is getting very dark indeed thanks to the megalomaniac who thinks she is at the helm in Holyrood;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iday-plan.html

She seems absolutely determined to wreck the country and its economy, then will no doubt stand in the rubble and say it was Westminster's fault and that this wouldn't have happened if Scotland was independent.

Meanwhile, the so called Conoravirus curve is as flat as a billiard table, and places like Orkney, Shetland and Caithness are being dragged down, yet again, by Southern Belt policies. There not even as much as a runny nose here in Orkney, but we are being dictated to by the Southern Divisionists as if we had rampant bubonic plague striking everyone down. All thats happening here in Orkney is a systematic destruction of jobs and the economy by a power crazed woman in Edinburgh.

@ Orkneycadian. And we are supposed to believe this total bollo*ks because you read it in the Daily Mail?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast