Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Local high schools mentioned in "Daily Record" online today

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Local high schools mentioned in "Daily Record" online today

There is an article in the "Daily Record" online today titled "Scotland's schools ranked from best to worst by Higher results".

Percentage of five higher passes shown in brackets.

287. Wick High School, Highland (23)

304. Thurso High School, Highland (22)

Source:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...worst-21981461

Wasn’t there a time not so long ago when Thurso High School was atop, or nearly atop, of the list? Maybe back in the heyday of Dounreay?

I don't know if it was at the top, but I believe it was a relatively good school. I was shocked that it now has such a low placing in the league table.

It is, unfortunately, an ongoing trend in the devolved countries of the UK. The following graphic from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50642855 Pisa test result averages in science

Scores of 15-year-old pupils, UK nations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	35227

Where attainment, in this case in Science in the devolved nations has consistently fallen further than in England. Scotland used to be "well up there", but its very clear to see what devolution is doing to the education systems of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Of course, England is falling too, just not as much as the others. Perhaps an indication that modern education isn't cutting it, and there should be a return to some of the ways that we know worked.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    It is, unfortunately, an ongoing trend in the devolved countries of the UK. The following graphic from https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50642855 Pisa test result averages in science

Scores of 15-year-old pupils, UK nations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.png 
Views:	166 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	35227

Where attainment, in this case in Science in the devolved nations has consistently fallen further than in England. Scotland used to be "well up there", but its very clear to see what devolution is doing to the education systems of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Of course, England is falling too, just not as much as the others. Perhaps an indication that modern education isn't cutting it, and there should be a return to some of the ways that we know worked.
    I find it extremely sad when a Scot reacts with such joyous, indeed malicious, glee when s/he perceives a failing in something for which the SG has responsibility. What kind of mindset do you have to have to go trawling for stories so that you can then derive pleasure from denigrating your own country? It is particularly galling that the person in question hankers for a bygone age and "...a return to some of the ways that we know worked.", yet appears not to know when to use an apostrophe.

What is quite striking for Scotland in the above graphic is the steepest decline of any of the UK nations from 2012 onwards. This is of course after the SNP success in the 2011 election and their immediate shifting of focus to the independence referendum. But still they think they are doing a good job on education. Unfortunately, the statistics prove otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by ecb View Post
    I don't know if it was at the top, but I believe it was a relatively good school. I was shocked that it now has such a low placing in the league table.
    I’m fairly sure THS’s Higher results were amongst the best of all state schools in the country way back in the 1970s. Maybe a retired teacher could confirm this.

I was at THS in the mid to late 1970s, if I remember correctly, the school performed particularly well in Science and Engineering subjects then.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post
    We should place the blame where it truly belongs
    And that is.......?