Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet dodged

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bullet dodged

Anyone else think we made the right decision in 2014?

Oil virtually worthless, rather than the $130/barrel SNP figures predicted.

Are you getting bored being in lockdown? I can't think of any other reason to stir up this tripe at the moment.

Just found this mornings news interesting. Also lots of similar comments doing the rounds today, so I thought I would join in.

If you want, you could thank me and everyone else that said 'No' for not living in a financially bankrupt country
    Last edited by Goodfellers; 21-Apr-20 at 15:51.

Here is a link to the story https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52367052 And the top rated comment Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	58 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	35218

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Just found this mornings news interesting. Also lots of similar comments doing the rounds today, so I thought I would join in.

If you want, you could thank me and everyone else that said 'No' for not living in a financially bankrupt country
    Ok, I'll indulge you for the time being. For the umpteenth time: how come Finland, Ireland, Portugal, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Cyprus ..... and so on, can all survive with little or no oil resources and far fewer of the other natural resources that Scotland has? These countries are all of similar size, or smaller than Scotland yet all are successful independent countries. I've never had a Unionist provide an explanation for this yet, so let me provide one.

BritNats have so little faith in their own country folk that they'd rather another country's country folk ran their country. It's as simple as that. As I have said many, many times. I have faith in the people of Scotland. It's high time you had too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Ok, I'll indulge you for the time being. For the umpteenth time: how come Finland, Ireland, Portugal, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Cyprus ..... and so on, can all survive with little or no oil resources and far fewer of the other natural resources that Scotland has? These countries are all of similar size, or smaller than Scotland yet all are successful independent countries. I've never had a Unionist provide an explanation for this yet, so let me provide one.

BritNats have so little faith in their own country folk that they'd rather another country's country folk ran their country. It's as simple as that. As I have said many, many times. I have faith in the people of Scotland. It's high time you had too.
    If it was that simple then independence is in the bag....Just need to convince a few as to where all the wealth is going to come from...Not interested in other countries, just this one. You can't deny the SNP had built their model on oil being a huge part of the financial jigsaw.

Well, I didn't expect an answer and I didn't get one (again). If you are only interested in this country why are you happy for it to be run by another country?

Did you find this morning's news just as interesting? It's just that you haven't commented upon it yet. I'm sure you want to take the credit for ensuring that Scotland is still tied to this morally bankrupt and utterly incompetent state. After all, you said you wanted to be congratulated for voting "No" in IndyRef1 and saving us from disaster.

So surely you want to associate yourself with the wonderful work being done to bring "... up to about half of the promised kit." to the UK about 5 days later than planned.

Or what about all the UK-based PPE manufacturers/suppliers who have offered to help but who have been ignored by HMG.

Then of course there is Simon McDonald (Foreign Office) who spilt the beans yesterday about the "political decision" for the UK not to join the EU's PPE procurement scheme and was then forced to sign a retraction to minimise the damage his revelation had caused.

Quite frankly being in this Union is causing people to lose their lives. Thanks "No" voters.

As I have said before and will say again HMG made it clear that it was taking the lead in tackling this pandemic. It has to take the flack when the brown stuff hits the fan.

Please would you stop mis-characterising and misquoting me. I appreciate that you have no arguments of your own but it does you no credit to attribute quotes and assertions to me that I have never uttered. There really is no point in debating things if you are just going to make things up about what you think, I think.

That's the 'bit' you fail to acknowledge
    Whereas you fail to acknowledge anything about the failings of this discredited government.

Enough is enough. It's pointless continuing in this vein as you just sling personal insults around to avoid having to answer difficult questions. I'll let you share this thread with anyone else who wishes to comment.

Anyone else think we made the right decision in 2014?

Oil virtually worthless, rather than the $130/barrel SNP figures predicted.
    Very much so. It doesn't even bear thinking about what Scotland would have looked like in 2020, having gone it alone. All that oil and tourism revenue?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Very much so. It doesn't even bear thinking about what Scotland would have looked like in 2020, having gone it alone. All that oil and tourism revenue?
    Yes, yes, how silly of me not to realise. An Independent Scotland would have been the only country in the world to have suffered any detrimental economic impact from the pandemic. How could I have been so blind all these years? And there was me thinking that as an independent, oil-rich country with a considerable sovereign wealth fund, built up during the good years, and still a member of the EU we might be better insulated from the worst effects of any economic downturn than, the UK for instance. The UK has squandered its oil revenue and divorced itself from the biggest trading bloc on the planet to go it alone and is now facing the worst recession in 300 years.

Yes, it's all becoming clear now. All that oil. If only we didn't have so damned much of it. And what about all that lovely countryside which saw Scotland voted the most beautiful country in the world. Jeez, if only Scotland was a dump and no-one wanted to come. I mean really, we'd be far better off without any oil or tourism. And now that the veil has been drawn from my eyes I see that being in the Union with an utterly incompetent government in Westminster and facing a disastrous Brexit is a far better option for Scotland, I see it now. How could I have got it so wrong?

Open your eyes and stop being the apologist in chief for this utterly discredited Union.

Allow me as Absconded Scotsman to point out the following.....

Where does Scotland get it’s money from? Simple Q!

Answer.....The Scottish Consolidated Fund Block Grant, from the UK Government.
    EU Funds
    Scottish Income Tax.

And....Scotland ran a 9.4B deficit for 2019.

Ain’t that the Truth! Eh....

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Allow me as Absconded Scotsman to point out the following.....

Answer.....The Scottish Consolidated Fund Block Grant, from the UK Government.
    EU Funds
    Scottish Income Tax.

And....Scotland ran a 9.4B deficit for 2019.

Ain’t that the Truth! Eh....
    No, it is NOT the truth. You seem to be suggesting that Scotland only survives because of handouts from the UK and EU.

Does it surprise you that Scotland has only 8.2% of the UK population but contributes 15% of UK GDP? That's rather impressive don't you think for a country that BritNats like to characterise as an economic basket case?

The simple fact is that somewhere between 40% and 50% of all revenue generated in Scotland is retained by Westminster.

Also, the myth about the deficit has been debunked umpteen times on here. In simple terms Scotland is expressly forbidden to run a budget deficit. Any deficit which is ascribed to Scotland is that which Westminster says is Scotland's share of the UK's deficit. This is of course an entirely notional figure derived for purely political purposes and has been arrived at without consultation with the Scottish Government.

Please don't succumb to the Scottish Cringe. It's what they want you to do.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post

Answer.....
    ......Scottish Income Tax.
    And alas, I suspect we will now see the full effect of Scotland being the part of the UK with the highest tax rate. Though the Scottish Government have largely subsisted on handouts from the UK over these last few months, you can bet that the high tax rate in Scotland will be used to full effect to claw some of that back, though I would somehow doubt that Scotland will then pay that back to the UK. We just need to look at the disparity in the way the hospitality support payments have been handled in Scotland vs the rest of the UK. In Scotland, 1 payment, irrespective of the number of premises - In the rest of the UK, 1 payment per site.

The Stats I laid out here, came from what I considered an accurate Doc, Perhaps not.
    We will all be owing the Tax Man. No doubt about that!

Finances looking sound for Scexit. Deficit only 15.1 billion and just 2 billion more than last year. And these numbers mostly outside the Conoravirus period.

What could possibly go wrong?

surely with figures like that, wee Jimmy needs to just give it a rest
    W.A.T.P.

Do you have the total tax figure from the North Sea or what percentage of that figure Scotland gets handed back from Westminster .

when your digging out that figures could you also find what's been the total money from the North Sea and what percentage of that ended up in Westminster . Let's see if we can get some truthful figure and not some colonist basis figures .
    Last edited by dozy; 28-Aug-20 at 12:36.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast