Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Car MOT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Car MOT

Is there any garages up here still doing MOTs or have they all been suspended ?

And before all the usual sarcastic posters jump onboard, I’m well aware of the MOT 6 month extensions
    but that applies to cars who’s MOT ran out after the 30th of March

You could try Richards in Wick or Dunnets in Thurso.

I thought these were open.
    https://mcconechys.co.uk/branch/wick
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Kinbrace garage is definitely open their number is 01431 831251

Just be wary and ask around before taking it to a garage. Most of my friends have been stiffed by local garages when taking their car for an MOT and now take them to Inverness instead. One of them got a huge bill for £1700 for brake parts replacement which weren't even needed and the car came out worse than it went in. He couldn't take it anywhere else to repair it as the garage said it was too dangerous to drive and the other friend got a whopper of a bill for £3300! on a 4 year old car!! none of the replaced parts were available to be shown as they were "disposed" of so we couldn't actually check to see if they were indeed needing replaced. This was a Thurso garage btw. I think a lot of you will know just who i am meaning!.Not saying they are all like this but word of mouth should be taken note of. This has all gotten worse since the new MOT system has came into effect with garages having an open licence to rob people blind by making false claims that your vehicle needed the parts then hiking the cost of the parts plus the time to fit them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Just be wary and ask around before taking it to a garage. Most of my friends have been stiffed by local garages when taking their car for an MOT and now take them to Inverness instead. One of them got a huge bill for £1700 for brake parts replacement which weren't even needed and the car came out worse than it went in. He couldn't take it anywhere else to repair it as the garage said it was too dangerous to drive and the other friend got a whopper of a bill for £3300! on a 4 year old car!! none of the replaced parts were available to be shown as they were "disposed" of so we couldn't actually check to see if they were indeed needing replaced. This was a Thurso garage btw. I think a lot of you will know just who i am meaning!.Not saying they are all like this but word of mouth should be taken note of. This has all gotten worse since the new MOT system has came into effect with garages having an open licence to rob people blind by making false claims that your vehicle needed the parts then hiking the cost of the parts plus the time to fit them.
    I always took my car to Burke's. He was fair & no advantage to fail the car.