Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Flour- lack of!

Default Flour- lack of!

Does anyone know why it is still impossible to buy any kind of flour anywhere? Also, baking powder and even dried fruit- shelves empty, zilch. As someone who makes own bread and baking and have done so all my adult life I find it quite strange, especially since fresh bread and bakery items are not in short supply. Where is all the flour going?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Where is all the flour going?
    Sorry, I don't have a clue but if you find out can you let me know because I'm pretty sure that's where my bl**dy socks end up.

Key Store on Bridge Street Wick usually has some.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Have you tried J Mackay in Thurso ? If they dont have flour you want they will get it for you.

Also the castletown butcher has some.

Does no one buy a Boll of meal/flour any more?

You can't even get that!

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    You can't even get that!
    Yup, I suppose that was a ‘few’ years ago.
    A Boll was a Bbbbig bag.
    We would get the herring and we had a wooden barrel, so a layer of salt and a layer of herring until we had it filled. Tatties in a pit at the back. Hard times!

it would appear that we get most of our flour from france according to google so maybe they have stopped exporting.

Have a look on eBay. Be carefull, I've seen flour priced at £20 a Kg. eBay are trying to take out the spiv profiteers. I did find a mill that would supply a 20kg bag high Canadian content, but their down south and transport to caithness makes the price £60 all in. Maybe a tad high, but understabaly so. I'll let you know how the bread bakes up when the flour arrives.

Thanks all. I too have managed to order a large bag of flour (not from ebay though) and that is on it's way. Haven't done that in years but used to- from Highland Whole foods who used to deliver up here. I stopped doing it due to difficulty of storing it plus occasional problems with mice in this old house!

John, you can ask Menzies to get it delivered to their Glasgow depot and then they will forward it up here for i think £9?. It will save you a lot of money as the sender is only sending it to Glasgow.