Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Poverty

Default Poverty

Another £24 million to spend that the Scottish treasury don't have;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-51629880

Period poverty: Are Scots going to get period products for free?

Of course, that's going to have to be followed up by free bog roll for all - Males, Females and every letter of the alphabet for by.

The thing is - If you blow all your money of fags, booze, botox, make up, the latest I Phone and a data plan that allows you post hundreds of pouting selfies every month, are you actually in poverty? Or just cack handed with your finances, and cannot prioritise your spending?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post

Of course, that's going to have to be followed up by free bog roll for all - Males, Females and every letter of the alphabet for by.

The thing is - If you blow all your money of fags, booze, botox, make up, the latest I Phone and a data plan that allows you post hundreds of pouting selfies every month, are you actually in poverty? Or just cack handed with your finances, and cannot prioritise your spending?
    I sincerely hope that this sort of ill-informed nonsense get the treatment it deserves.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post

You are so wrapped up in your own venomous bubble, you wouldn't know reality if it hit you between the eyes. I won't even lower myself to dispute your observations of females in poverty, or what sanitary products are actually used for. Even a long nail can only penetrate so far, into a thick, rotten plank. I also believe you will find free toilet roll in any toilet you happen to visit, unless of course it's poop bags you use.

orkneycadian....I suppose you do remember that, because the Scottish government is not allowed to have a defici, they don't propose budget spending if they don't have the money to pay for it?

Now if you were really worrying about a government being unable to afford free period products, shouldn't you be wondering how Westminster, with its regular annual budget deficit can afford to fund free period products in all primary and secondary schools in England from this January?

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    I also believe you will find free toilet roll in any toilet you happen to visit.
    This is indeed true. If you can find one that's open, or hasn't been trashed by the alcoholic neds of Wick.

But the Scottish Bill says;

4 Use and operation of the scheme

(1) The period products scheme must be such that persons using it to obtain period products30 can do so reasonably easily and with reasonable privacy.
    (2) In particular, it must enable those persons to choose (as an alternative to collection inperson) to have them delivered or have them collected.
    (3) But (despite section 1) it may require a person choosing to have them delivered inspecified circumstances to pay the postal or other delivery charges.
    (4) Those specified circumstances are limited to those in which it would be reasonable toexpect someone seeking to obtain period products to collect them in person.
    (5) The scheme must ensure that there is a reasonable choice of different types of periodproducts.

Collecting the cheap, hard, shiny sheets of bog roll from public toilets under cover of darkness, is unlikely to equate to handing over a voucher in Boots and having your pick off the shelves. But I guess we will have to see how its rolled out. (Pun intended!) Hopefully, the public toilets will start stocking a range of bog rolls so that we can help ourselves to a reasonable choice, and fulfill clause 5 above.

Right, must go. Must go and spend the money I have saved for bog roll on a 40 ouncer of vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    Now if you were really worrying about a government being unable to afford free period products, shouldn't you be wondering how Westminster, with its regular annual budget deficit can afford to fund free period products in all primary and secondary schools in England from this January?
    By not frittering it away?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...s-investments/

SNP ministers lose public £135m in bad loans and investments

That Mackay chap looks familiar - Sure I've seen him before somewhere.....