Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Westminster running scared?

Default Westminster running scared?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...nion-1-5087799

"Cinemagoers across Scotland are to be presented with adverts setting out the UK’s “greatest hits” of past and present achievements in a bid to boost support for the Union.

The campaign, which is expected to be supported by billboards, radio, print adverts and social media posts, will highlight successes that the four nations of the UK have achieved together – covering areas like sport, culture, humanitarian aid and green energy."

Or, as the Herald puts it "The Westminster Government are to launch a campaign aimed at bolstering support for the Union following a series of polls suggesting a narrow majority in support for Scottish independence."

Be interesting to see what Westminster thinks are the UK's "Better Together" achievements, particularly as nobody, since before the 2014 referendum has managed to come up with anyrhing we couldn't have done on our own if we wanted to and had the tools in our own hands to do it.

Anybody got any suggestions as to what they can put on the adverts?

I certainly won't be heading to the Cinema again for a long time...it'll cost the Scottish taxpayer enough to fund Boris's latest brainfart (as it WILL be apportioned to Scotland because it is being spent in Scotland), without dipping our hands into our pockets to get more UK OK propaganda shoved down our throats.

I shall continue to go to the cinema if and when I want to see the film on show as I don't go or not go based on the adverts.

Didn't someone (Michael Gove, I think) also have the silly idea of trying to "strengthen the union" by putting "Made in Britain" plaques on anything in Scotland that that wasn't wholly funded by the SG. I don't think much came of it. Presumably Brexit got in the way.

The notion that any relationship can be strengthened by one party patronising and condescending the other is strange. I can see it changing minds, however. Just not in the way the UKG intends.

Yes, but then wasn't it a stunt to have the Scotland loves the EU projected on that European building, for which a rebuke was issued and a dim view taken and also, was done with the clear idea to mislead. No party can claim the moral high ground and I just wish that could be admitted and debate could be honest- but it is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I shall continue to go to the cinema if and when I want to see the film on show as I don't go or not go based on the adverts.
    Well, bully for you. This is not just an advert, but a propaganda campaign, and I for one will not be giving my money to any cinema planning to show them. Wonder how long they will keep it up if there are less "bums on seats"? There are times when folks need to stand up and say "NO". Remember also, the taxpayer will be paying for this, whether they like it or not!

Yes, but then wasn't it a stunt to have the Scotland loves the EU projected on that European building, for which a rebuke was issued and a dim view taken and also, was done with the clear idea to mislead. No party can claim the moral high ground and I just wish that could be admitted and debate could be honest- but it is wishful thinking.
    Yes, it was a New Year "fun" stunt, and no rebuke was issued by anyone actually, and no actions were taken. Some folk are easily misled when they want to be. Wonder how many will retract/correct this story?

Of course it was a stunt but a very short-lived one and not quite in the same league as this state-sponsored propaganda campaign. I also agree with Shabbychic that sometimes we just have to say "no". What the UKG is doing is not normal behaviour for a western democratic state and I feel sure that they would not be contemplating it if they weren't deeply worried.

On your final point, I think you must be less cynical than I am. I will happily admit that no party can claim the moral high ground. I just didn't think it needed saying quite so explicitly as I assumed everyone knew that claiming to occupy it was all part of this game called politics.

SNP - silly stunts

Say no more

I doubt that there will be many who don't go to the cinema because of it but each to their own.
    In WW2, there was plenty of this going on in cinemas in a Western democratic country which was trying to stay that way and there has been more of it since that time as well.

In WW2, there was plenty of this going on in cinemas in a Western democratic country which was trying to stay that way and there has been more of it since that time as well.
    Wow. Please correct me if I am wrong but you seem to be suggesting that what the UKG is doing is justifiable because they are defending democracy. Maybe that's my misinterpretation of your words, and if I have done that then I apologise, but I'd really like some clarification.

Yes, you have misunderstood. It was just an illustration of how this has happened before, I meant in cinemas and similar since then such as the infamous 'Protect and Survive' (which was ridiculed).

To be honest, I do not understand what you are so exercised about as the averts will probably be ridiculed in Scotland anyway.

Yes, you have misunderstood. It was just an illustration of how this has happened before, I meant in cinemas and similar since then such as the infamous 'Protect and Survive' (which was ridiculed).
    Phew! I was a bit worried there.

I accept that this kind of thing has happened before but this particular instance has a different and very worrying edge to it. If you add in Downing Street's recent attempts to control which journalists (and therefore their newspapers, and TV/Radio stations, etc) got access to press briefings then I for one am pretty worried about where this might all lead.

I do not understand your viewpoint. I will look at the adverts and judge- so will everyone surely? It will stand or fall on that.

Of course Westminster is running scared...
    “Cinemagoers across Scotland are to be presented with adverts setting out the UK’s greatest hits of past and present.” I doubt this propaganda will include the Highland Clearances, Cumberland’s attempted Genocide of the Highlanders, the Irish Famine, the Indian Famines, the Boar War concentration camps, the Amritsar massacre or the illegal wars since 1945.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I have no idea what kind of advertisements were shown during the war, but I'm darn sure, whatever they were, were shown in every part of the UK, not in just one..and I'm pretty sure "Protect and Survive" wasn't just shown in the part of the UK, most at risk of nuclear attack or accident, ie Scotland,..ergo this has not happened before.

Afaik, the last time there were cinema adverts targeted only at Scotland was in the first quarter of 2014, before the official campaign started, and cinemas were accepting adverts from both sides...until they started getting lots of complaints....probably complaints about the intrusion into what was meant to an evening divorced from reality and the rank lies in the one produced by Vote No Borders about the NHS/Great Ormond Street, and the idiotic one they dreamed up, in which there was a Scotsman, an Englishman and an Irishman who all got their passports stolen in Rio and only the Englishman and the Welshman got home safely because the UK has a consulate As a result, the cinemas decided to ban any independence related advertising altogether...but at least they would have been showing both sides of the argument if they had allowed it to continue.

I wonder if the same will be the case this time...because the UK Government has its magic money tree to fund their campaign, while the Scottish Government is not able to afford to do the same...in fact the Scottish Government may well even be allocated the cost of the advertising as money spent for Scotland by Westminster in order to increase our "deficit". We all know that the continual drip drip drip of propaganda with no method of counteracting it forms opinions.....and can you think of any other reason why Westminster is doing this...while at the same time refusing another referendum?
    Last edited by Oddquine; 11-Feb-20 at 15:03.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people counteracting it throughout Scotland and no doubt we will hear a great deal about it when it happens.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people counteracting it throughout Scotland and no doubt we will hear a great deal about it when it happens.
    Yes, I'm sure we will but all of it will be fed to us through the prism of unionism by a compliant MSM. You know, just like the Indy marches with 80k+ Yessers and 25 flag-waving unionists yet the images in the papers the next day look like the numbers were the other way round. Cue: chip on shoulder posts from you know who.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Yes, I'm sure we will but all of it will be fed to us through the prism of unionism by a compliant MSM. You know, just like the Indy marches with 80k+ Yessers and 25 flag-waving unionists yet the images in the papers the next day look like the numbers were the other way round. Cue: chip on shoulder posts from you know who.
    Why not post some links to the correct figures if you dispute them?

What?

I am talking about selective reporting.

MSM "Reality"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indy march 2.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	35139

Actual Reality

Name:	indy march.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	35140

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    What?

I am talking about selective reporting.

MSM "Reality"

Name:	indy march 2.jpg 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	35139

Actual Reality

Name:	indy march.jpg 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	35140
    I think you are as guilty of selective reporting as anyone else. Google all under one banner + images. The majority of images from MSM are of the march. Even the BBC don't show your view of flag wavers, may not be the same event, but they (the BBC) show balanced reporting. Sad that you see negativity everywhere https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-49932819

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast