Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: A Tale of Two Bridges

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Well, the BBC are at least not guilty of it as have just read the report and it is entirely without gloating and very informative and highlights the fact that the great new bridge in fact should not need to be closed due to high winds as it has been fitted with special baffle structures. The 'not needing to be closed due to wind' was the claim made for it by the designers so if some newspapers got it wrong then more fool them. The BBC report highlights the set of circumstances that prevailed which caused the ice problem (and that it has happened before) and that it is a problem with bridges in many other countries.The old bridge often had to be closed due to high winds and this one doesn't and it looks fantastic as well.
    Last edited by Fulmar; 12-Feb-20 at 14:29.

Have look at this page on the BBC's website - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-38598155

That is not an unbiased headline. The story behind the headline is fair, I grant you but the headline is not.

Was this title given to the bridge by the media when it opened? Was it hailed as 'the bridge that should never close'? I don't know- can't remember- but if it was then that might explain it being used now?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Was this title given to the bridge by the media when it opened? Was it hailed as 'the bridge that should never close'? I don't know- can't remember- but if it was then that might explain it being used now?
    I don't remember it ever being called that so I can't throw any light on the matter. Being the cynical, BritNatophobe that I am I wouldn't be surprised to learn that if it ever was called that, the original sentence may have read, 'the bridge that should never close due to high winds'. Remove the last 4 words and you have a headline.

Moral is one should do more than just read the headlines! I have found out more about that bridge than I ever knew before anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Moral is one should do more than just read the headlines! I have found out more about that bridge than I ever knew before anyway.
    I completely agree. The problem is that the headline is the attention grabber and often the only thing people can recall. That is why it is important, for the BBC in particular, to ensure its headlines do not convey a less than impartial message.

To illustrate things further look at the way the Herald has reported the issue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QC.JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	35144 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	QC2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	35145

The Herald continually claims to be impartial. Difficult to believe when you see these headlines. They are utterly ridiculous.

But, my main point is why the constant need to spin everything negatively? The QC has remained open during all weathers, except the exceptionally bad weather of the early part of this week. It has remained open during periods of inclement weather that would have closed the FRB. Travellers have experienced far less disruption as a result. Instead of celebrating that fact the MSM chose to invent a "crisis" where none exists and concentrate on a closure caused by extremely severe weather.

It would be nice to hear/see the MSM talking Scotland up for a change.