Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Westminster running scared?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Westminster running scared?

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politi...nion-1-5087799

"Cinemagoers across Scotland are to be presented with adverts setting out the UK’s “greatest hits” of past and present achievements in a bid to boost support for the Union.

The campaign, which is expected to be supported by billboards, radio, print adverts and social media posts, will highlight successes that the four nations of the UK have achieved together – covering areas like sport, culture, humanitarian aid and green energy."

Or, as the Herald puts it "The Westminster Government are to launch a campaign aimed at bolstering support for the Union following a series of polls suggesting a narrow majority in support for Scottish independence."

Be interesting to see what Westminster thinks are the UK's "Better Together" achievements, particularly as nobody, since before the 2014 referendum has managed to come up with anyrhing we couldn't have done on our own if we wanted to and had the tools in our own hands to do it.

Anybody got any suggestions as to what they can put on the adverts?

I certainly won't be heading to the Cinema again for a long time...it'll cost the Scottish taxpayer enough to fund Boris's latest brainfart (as it WILL be apportioned to Scotland because it is being spent in Scotland), without dipping our hands into our pockets to get more UK OK propaganda shoved down our throats.

I shall continue to go to the cinema if and when I want to see the film on show as I don't go or not go based on the adverts.

Didn't someone (Michael Gove, I think) also have the silly idea of trying to "strengthen the union" by putting "Made in Britain" plaques on anything in Scotland that that wasn't wholly funded by the SG. I don't think much came of it. Presumably Brexit got in the way.

The notion that any relationship can be strengthened by one party patronising and condescending the other is strange. I can see it changing minds, however. Just not in the way the UKG intends.

Yes, but then wasn't it a stunt to have the Scotland loves the EU projected on that European building, for which a rebuke was issued and a dim view taken and also, was done with the clear idea to mislead. No party can claim the moral high ground and I just wish that could be admitted and debate could be honest- but it is wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I shall continue to go to the cinema if and when I want to see the film on show as I don't go or not go based on the adverts.
    Well, bully for you. This is not just an advert, but a propaganda campaign, and I for one will not be giving my money to any cinema planning to show them. Wonder how long they will keep it up if there are less "bums on seats"? There are times when folks need to stand up and say "NO". Remember also, the taxpayer will be paying for this, whether they like it or not!

Yes, but then wasn't it a stunt to have the Scotland loves the EU projected on that European building, for which a rebuke was issued and a dim view taken and also, was done with the clear idea to mislead. No party can claim the moral high ground and I just wish that could be admitted and debate could be honest- but it is wishful thinking.
    Yes, it was a New Year "fun" stunt, and no rebuke was issued by anyone actually, and no actions were taken. Some folk are easily misled when they want to be. Wonder how many will retract/correct this story?

Of course it was a stunt but a very short-lived one and not quite in the same league as this state-sponsored propaganda campaign. I also agree with Shabbychic that sometimes we just have to say "no". What the UKG is doing is not normal behaviour for a western democratic state and I feel sure that they would not be contemplating it if they weren't deeply worried.

On your final point, I think you must be less cynical than I am. I will happily admit that no party can claim the moral high ground. I just didn't think it needed saying quite so explicitly as I assumed everyone knew that claiming to occupy it was all part of this game called politics.

SNP - silly stunts

Say no more

Quote Originally Posted by Shabbychic View Post
    And, finally, just to make sure we don't forget, a wee reminder about Derek Mackay. Let's face it, why would she go all the way to Brussels so she could talk about Derek Mackay? This was brought up there by the UK media once again.
    You say it like it is something minor that should be forgotten about. Let's not forget that the last First Minister is awaiting trial for alleged sex offences, whilst the person hotly tipped to have been the next one had to resign after sending inappropriate texts. Its hardly a minor matter when both your predecessor and potential successor manage to mire themselves amongst such accusations.

Talking of people mired in accusations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gove and bojo.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	35148

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Talking of people mired in accusations

Name:	gove and bojo.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	35148
    It's always worth putting links to stories/claims like this. You have already stated the msm and BBC cannot be trusted so I'm happy to read your source when you post. Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    It's always worth putting links to stories/claims like this. You have already stated the msm and BBC cannot be trusted so I'm happy to read your source when you post. Many thanks
    Any prospect of an apology heading my way any time soon. Many thanks, in advance.

Name:	hignify.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	35149

Mr Gove and Johnson are not convicted class A dealers. They may/may not have tried drugs in the past, who knows. Do either of them have convictions?

On a different thread regarding the death penalty, many comments seem to say that prison/death penalty doesn't work. Maybe the threat of deportation might. I would deport them the moment they were convicted, why should UK tax payers pay to keep them in prison.