Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scotland and the EU

So correct me if I'm wrong.

You would want Scotland to join as soon as possible, even though there would be huge calls for the cash at home, and be happy to hand that cash to the EU to spend on somewhere like Romania rather than here?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    So correct me if I'm wrong.

You would want Scotland to join as soon as possible, even though there would be huge calls for the cash at home, and be happy to hand that cash to the EU to spend on somewhere like Romania rather than here?
    Yes, I would prefer Scotland to re-join the EU as soon as it possibly can.

As I said in my earlier post the EU is a club and you have to pay the membership fee. At the same time as Scotland is handing over cash, the 27 other EU member states are doing likewise and some of that money will be spent in Scotland. Money doesn't just get sent to the EU to be spent elsewhere. A great deal of it is returned to member states to finance domestic projects. Also, don't forget that at this stage Scotland would be an independent country and would be freed from any financial obligation to support the renewal of Trident within rUK. That alone would make a substantial difference to the amount of cash available to be used domestically. Add in the savings Scotland would make by not having to help foot the bill for UK infrastructure projects and many more billions of pounds become available.

What's not to like?

I do understand the basics of EU funding after the infamous claim of £350 million. When in reality,as you said we do get some back. In the case of the UK I think it's about £90 million, meaning our fee is about £260 million a week.

Now, if Scotland is going to be as well off as you predict, we will be paying in far more than we get out. I don't think that's the right thing to do until this country is completely fixed. I see no benefit in passing our cash on to poorer countries until we have no more poor of our own.

I do understand the basics of EU funding after the infamous claim of £350 million. When in reality,as you said we do get some back. In the case of the UK I think it's about £90 million, meaning our fee is about £260 million a week.

Now, if Scotland is going to be as well off as you predict, we will be paying in far more than we get out. I don't think that's the right thing to do until this country is completely fixed. I see no benefit in passing our cash on to poorer countries until we have no more poor of our own.
    I'm not sure we can use those figures to justify any arguments for or against Scotland being in the EU. At this early stage I am sure no-one has sat down and worked out precise figures. That would be for negotiation at the time of application.

I'm also not sure I have made any predictions about how well off an independent Scotland would be in the EU but your argument seems self-defeating in any case. Just hypothetically, surely paying in more than we get out is of less importance if the net result is Scotland being as well off as you say I predict. It would be a price worth paying to have the country prosper, wouldn't it?

How can you completely fix all the problems in a country? No country that has ever achieved that or is ever likely to. Most of us can't even manage it within our own families. We have to be realistic. Yes, there will be problems and yes, they will need to be fixed but they will be done in a manner that suits Scotland. I would also suggest that the likelihood of any problems, such as poverty, being fixed whilst Scotland is in the UK is far less than if we were in the EU.

Glad to see that the SNP led government are spending our tax contributions wisely on the things we really need in Scotland like education and healthcare and not frittering it away on political publicity stunts.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/...-brexit-night/

Glad to hear too that there's no attempts at deception going on and it wasn't made to look like the EU arranged it.

Looks like the EU don't quite love the SNP as much as the SNP thought;

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...481.html%3famp

EU officials report SNP ‘Europe loves Scotland’ projection to police

According to Shabbychic on the 'westminster running scared' thread this is an outright lie and a retraction /correction should be made by the MSM.

Interesting to see what plays out.

According to Shabbychic on the 'westminster running scared' thread this is an outright lie and a retraction /correction should be made by the MSM.

Interesting to see what plays out.
    In a hurry at the moment, but here's a quick link.

Enjoy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12