Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Homes for Gaelic speakers

Default Homes for Gaelic speakers

Can you imagine the uproar if someone had said "You have to be able to speak English to get a council house"

I thought Scotland was all inclusive all welcoming and loved diversity?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...elic-scotland/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	35104

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Can you imagine the uproar if someone had said "You have to be able to speak English to get a council house"

I thought Scotland was all inclusive all welcoming and loved diversity?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...elic-scotland/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	35104

You really are hilarious. So, a University Professor makes a silly statement to The Herald on Sunday, and not only do they make part of it front page headlines, but it automatically becomes a policy of the Scottish Government? I sincerely hope the Herald doesn't start quoting some of your theories.

And, why the sudden raft of Political views appearing in the General Section? Are you and your wee Band o' Buddies not getting enough attention in the Political Section? I think you all need a group hug. Mwah.

Your statement is amusing!!

Where in my op have I mentioned the Scottish govt. You see hatred everywhere, I pity you.

Talking of group hugs, I see you've all come out of the woodwork today!

It's just yet more nationalist vanity. "if we are to be an independent country, then we must be seen to have our own language"

I see another Council is so awash with cash that they are considering Gaelic on their signs too.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...tland-51193250

It must be great to have your education, healthcare and other public services so well provided for that the budgets can afford adding a language that no one really speaks anymore to the road signs

Awwwww come on people...., these are just ideas getting kicked about, they're not policies. We've had the debate about the Gaelic language; the subject was done to death years ago. Apparently the Gaelic language is in crisis, again; not enough people are learning and using it. The bottom line is that it's a matter of personal preference, people choose what language they want to learn and use other than the default language English.
    As orkneycadian has pointed out there are more pressing issues needing attention.
    Last edited by Gronnuck; 28-Jan-20 at 13:23.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Many years ago on ‘University Challenge’, hosted by Bamber Gascoigne, a very important question was asked.
    Where is the ‘Queen’s English’ spoken?
    The answer was Inverness!
    Let those who want to speak Gaelic do so. Provide some resources for those who want to.
    If this is so important we need help. There are so many more important issues for our future!