Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Only the wise die

Try telling that to "Mad Mike" Hughes, the chap who last month pancaked himself on the curved earth, trying to prove it was flat.

Seems Mercenary that Newspapers charge to get details on COVID19.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ produces graphs for ‘all countries excluding China’, but I can’t find the equivalent for China alone. If the China figures are accurate, they seem to have curtailed the spread and we should learn from their success. Next week’s numbers from China will be crucial.

Though there are no specific graphs for it, the tables lower down show the Chinese already have it well under control;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	35174
    Meanwhile, everyone else is making a right haggis of containment, and may as well give up now. The Italians are at least a month late in their action. Had they locked down all incoming travel from Asia, then 233 of their citizens may now not have died. Instead, Italy has, so far, lost the equivenlent of a major air disaster.

Agreed on all counts.

I’ve been watching those tables all along, but it would be good to have graphs like the one you posted earlier but for China alone. ‘A graph is worth a thousand figures’.
    Last edited by aqua; 08-Mar-20 at 15:17.

Your wish, Aqua, is my command (within reason.....)

Views:	214 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	35175

Default Perspective

A lot of folk say in relation to coronavirus "Oh, look at in perspective and compare it to how many folk die of seasonal flu"

OK, we can do that. Italy has had a very bad day - 133 folk died of Coronavirus since yesterday, bringing their total to 366. Whats the "ordinary" flu season been like in Italy so far this winter?

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu...down-in-a-week

Flu outbreak in Italy: Half a million people struck down in a week

OK, so that report was posted on the 23rd of January, so a bit ago. But whats it saying? Since October 2019 to January 2020, 240 flu deaths have been reported, vs the expected 258 by that stage in the season. It also says that January is the expected peak. So lets just double the 240 to 480 for easy counting. 480 Italians expected to die in the 6 month long flu season. And 133 have died of coronavirus since yesterday.

OK, that puts it in perspective for me. To all the folk that suggest coronavirus is compared to seasonal flu deaths, thanks for the hint!

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Your wish, Aqua, is my command (within reason.....)

Views:	214 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	35175
    Wow, I didn’t expect that! Thank you!

How did you get the data?

Simples - Just subtracted the "Rest of the world" numbers from the "Total numbers", then plotted all 3 - All from the Worldometers site

For a bit of extra fun, I have redistributed the big spike they had when the changed the recording method. In the below version, there's still the same number of cases, I have just redistributed them a little bit in the days leading up to the spike to make a "best guess" of what it could look like.

Views:	200 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	35177

Interesting video - "Why new diseases keep appearing in China".

An update for you Aqua.

Views:	192 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	35179
    Not much new there. What I do note of interest today on the Worldometers site is that when ranked in order of "cases per 1 million population", China has dropped down to 5th today, from 4th yesterday. Pro rata, they are already far from being the worst inflicted country
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 09-Mar-20 at 20:43. Reason: Typo

It has invaded Shetland now, getting a little close to home for my liking.
    W.A.T.P.

An update for you Aqua.

Views:	192 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	35179
    Not much new there. What I do note of interest today on the Worldometers site is that when ranked in order of "cases per 1 million population", China has dropped down to 5th today, from 4th yesterday. Pro rata, they are already far from being the worst inflicted country
    Thanks for the update!

I hadn’t realised you could get the numbers for individual days by mouseover on the Worldometers bar charts. I thought you would have to follow the reference link they provide elsewhere on the site for each data point.

Your guess of the numbers leading up to the spike is probably as good as anyone else’s.

So far so good for China’s efforts to can the virus. Italy’s response has been truly pathetic, I fear the rest of Europe won’t do any better.

It very much looks like the first rise and fall is almost exclusively China, whilst the second rise is almost exclusively everyone other than China. I fear that in months to come, China's response will have put them at the top of the list for reaction, and bottom of the list for cases / deaths. The farcical part of all this is that China showed the way, and the rest of the world had the chance to watch and learn. But didn't.

Do you include the major cover up that took place in the beginning and silencing people who tried to speak out- and that is still happening right now? The Chinese people are by no means universally happy with their government's response. I would have more respect if they banned the disgusting, utterly horrendous so called wet live 'meat' markets where the problem originated. Bat to pangolin (pangolin being on the brink of extinction) to humans. Could you watch that video that Corky posted the link to yesterday, I could not get to the end of it. As we all know, it is not only meat it is the illegal trade in endangered animals for traditional medicine that also put humans at risk not to mention the immorality of it all. So excuse me if I don't join in with your adulation.
    Last edited by Fulmar; 10-Mar-20 at 09:32.

Fortunately, I don't see any of Corky Smeeks posted drivel, thanks to the ignore list.

Regards China, I can only go on the figures in the public domain. I think there will be errors in all countries submissions. How many folk in the UK have had it, but had no symptoms of note, or put it down to a cold?

Yes, I agree that China probably tried to cover it up at the beginning, but I think they soon learned and I would have a lot more faith in their current figures.

China's eating habits are part of their culture. We are encouraged to embrace cultural diversity, and accommodate it, even if that is significantly different from our own. So whilst I would probably pass on the lightly kebabed bat, I appreciate that that's what their culture is.

From BBC Scotland website:
    Globally, authorities have confirmed more than 109,000 cases of the coronavirus and more than 3,800 deaths.
    The vast majority of cases - more than 80,900 - are in China, where the virus originated in December.

The farcical part of all this is that China showed the way, and the rest of the world had the chance to watch and learn. But didn't.
    Well if Italy has now copied China in order to contain the virus, maybe we should do that too? And do it now?

'This is Britain in a fortnight': Scientist reveals UK is on same trajectory as Italy and is ‘two weeks away’ from a similar coronavirus lockdown

How many days behind

Sorry dailymail but was the first site I found with graphs!

Meanwhile in the UK:

'No one has told me to self-isolate...I just want to get back to work':

Uber driver is among hundreds returning to Britain from locked-down Italy who say there are NO coronavirus checks or advice at UK airports (same site)

Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast