Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Coronavirus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    That said, hospitality would be able to open until 22:30.
    If I may, to clarify, what may seem like a small point but is actually very significant to us employed in hospitality,
    in Level One, hospitality is allowed to be open until 21:30 with all customers to leave by 22:30.

Thanks.

This is my first post in some time. I stopped visiting and posting largely because I was tired of serial extreme opinions from a small number of people. I couldn’t be bothered reading it, never mind responding to it. I see one person has been banned, which is sad and has killed off most of the ‘discussion’.

I don’t claim to be a particularly informative or entertaining poster, or a very good debater, but I am still here, for now at least.
    Last edited by aqua; 29-Nov-20 at 13:01.

Meanwhile in Sweden...

Intensive care in the Stockholm Region is under severe pressure. On Tuesday, the intensive care units were 99 percent full. This is the first time this has happened during the pandemic.

- These are activities that are about life and death, so the situation is very serious, says Björn Persson, operations manager for perioperative medicine and intensive care at Karolinska.

The director of health and medical care, Björn Eriksson, says that he turned to the National Board of Health and Welfare for staff reinforcement.

In the Stockholm region, there were 160 intensive care units on Tuesday, including intensive care for children, which were 99 percent full. Both by covids and by other patients who need the most advanced emergency care.
    Last edited by Neil Howie; 09-Dec-20 at 23:34. Reason: formatting

What do people thing about the cancellation of next year's Higher and Advanced Higher exams? Instead a new model that has been developed and awards will be based on teacher judgement of evidence of learner attainment.

I saw a comment attached to a newspaper story about this, which seems (to me) to have a grain of truth about it:

Employer; "so when did you get your 5 advanced grade Highers at A* "
    Interviewee; " it was in 2021 actually"
    Employer; "oh! I see, don't call us we'll call you"

Quote Originally Posted by ecb View Post
    What do people thing about the cancellation of next year's Higher and Advanced Higher exams? Instead a new model that has been developed and awards will be based on teacher judgement of evidence of learner attainment.
    Good year to be a teacher... Lots of bribes coming your way...
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

The new variant of coronavirus is scary. Can its advance be halted without a vaccine? With an estimated increase in R of 0.4, I fear it may be unstoppable before mass vaccination nears completion.

Stricter lockdown rules for Scotland:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-55379632

But will people follow the new restrictions. I saw the following humourous comment in a newspaper, about people's attitudes to the Covid rules:

"They break the rules;
    You bend the rules;
    I have a very good reason for what I am doing."

It seems to have a grain of truth in it.
    Last edited by ecb; 20-Dec-20 at 13:33. Reason: Punctuation

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    The new variant of coronavirus is scary. Can its advance be halted without a vaccine? With an estimated increase in R of 0.4, I fear it may be unstoppable before mass vaccination nears completion.
    Gulp! The increase in R is now being quoted as being in the range 0.4 to 0.9. The latter would be deadly, and probably make it unstoppable without near-total vaccination.