Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

We need data. We need to test, test, test, and then test some more.

Absolutely!

Absolutely indeed! And when that testing is finished - test even more!

This particular amateur epidemiologist read and approved of an article in the Guardian by real epidemiologist Adam Kucharski of the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...irus-modelling

I would not be against supermarkets reserving items or areas for NHS staff either, though that might be a bit difficult to manage

Curious study from Iceland.

Although some sites are taking away the headline that there could be a lot of asymptomatic people out there, it was a surprise to me that they found -

40 coronavirus mutations among infected people in the country.

but more worryingly (real word)

A single person has been found to be infected with two variants of new coronavirus.
    I wonder if the exposure to multiple strains is what is killing young-ish healthy doctors and nurses in other countries ?

I hope this link works! Google translated Icelandic newspaper
    Last edited by Neil Howie; 27-Mar-20 at 00:19. Reason: formatting

Interesting. Thanks for posting it.

I followed the link, which led to the original Danish(?) version. I fed it to Google translate by hand.

I was aware that coronaviruses mutate rapidly, which is why we don’t have a vaccine for the common cold, but I had no idea just how rapidly. I would guess that contracting two variants of the virus could be much worse than one, but I’ll not speculate because I really don’t know enough about all this.

Mutations are not necessarily bad because they tend to cause the virus population to grow to be less harmful. The most harmful mutations don’t spread as rapidly because they immobilise their host, who becomes unable to move around and thereby unable to spread the more dangerous version. This is why the most dangerous viruses are less difficult to contain. Covid-19 is bad because it sits in the middle, it kills a small fraction so it can still spread like crazy.

Well, that’s my understanding. I’m happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable.
    Last edited by aqua; 27-Mar-20 at 12:52.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    At last! The perpetual question that this forum has been asking for the last 10 years has been answered! Admin, can the above post be pinned so that the question need never be asked again?
    He’s finally found out when Tesco opens, and now he’s vanished from the forum. Has he been panic buying in Tesco ever since?
    Last edited by aqua; 27-Mar-20 at 13:41.

The view from El Diablo in Bath (aka Wings Over Scotland)

https://wingsoverscotland.com/lets-not-kill-ourselves/

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    The view from El Diablo in Bath (aka Wings Over Scotland)

https://wingsoverscotland.com/lets-not-kill-ourselves/
    I've got to agree with that, driving to somewhere to walk or exercise your dog should be allowed, most information online and info from police says it is not allowed (just googled 'can i drive to a beauty spot to walk') Top answer below
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...lained-2519615

Needs making much clearer whether you can or can't.

I thought this was an unusually high number, continue to seek an explanation:

ROME - Day after day the list of doctors who died on the field for Covid-19 is growing.And the total rises to 51.

link
    You may have to post the link into google and then select "translate this page"

Yes, it’s a high number indeed. I wonder what the infection rate is amongst medical staff.

''In Italy, a 101-year-old man who tested positive for Covid-19 has recovered''
    I read this on BBC site and felt it was something positive.

I saw that too. Fantastic!

There's this too:-

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drcorona.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	35204

Good to see police south of the border are taking this out break seriously

Name:	Capture1.PNG 
Views:	153 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	35205

Name:	Capture2.PNG 
Views:	134 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	35206 Nice that they have a decent sense of humour!

I heard on the news just now that a guy got tasered for coughing over officers and claiming that he had the virus. He was tested and he was thankfully negative but let's hope that message gets out to those who need to hear it. Cough over us and we'll zap you!

Absolutely wrong': how UK's coronavirus test strategy unravelled

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...egy-unravelled

This is the Guardian’s view on the UK government’s strategy for dealing with the virus. In brief, the government was wrong about everything.

No matter what, ‘every’ Gov’t is wrong.
    No one is ever correct, whatever the outcome.
    Its like Politics encroaches on everything that’s done, good or bad!

The countries that have been most successful in containing the virus and saving lives have big testing programmes. We need to test, isolate those with positive tests, track down their contacts and test them. This is what China did. And South Korea did. And Taiwan. And Germany to some extent.

The government has listened too much to the mathematical modellers. It should have listened to the medical practitioners. This sounds like Dominic Cummings’ influence.

I take the point about mathematical modelling but I think this article shows its worth. it makes for fascinating, if rather sobering, reading.

I saw it on Angus MacNeil MP's Twitter - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/hell-...185019616.html

Thanks for the link.

That guy’s prediction for the US death toll on 7 April was uncannily accurate! Probably because he used real data rather than putting in so-called reasonable assumptions that turned out to be very wrong, which is what many government advisors did, as far as I can tell.

Did you see this article in The Guardian a few days ago?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...study-predicts

The UK government advisor from Imperial College claims (at least some of) the recent input data is wrong. Perhaps, but I don’t trust his judgement after his initial errors. Hopefully, the real numbers will be closer to the lowest estimate of the American team. We’ll find out soon enough.

Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast