Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Coronavirus

The Chinese don't hang about when they set their minds to it;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ital-WEEK.html

Hundreds of heavy-duty vehicles and armies of workers are gathered overnight as China vows to build a 1,000-bed coronavirus hospital from scratch in ONE WEEK

How long have they been at the Sick Kids Hospital in Edinburgh, and when does it open?

Another SNP clusterf...

On the bright side, with any luck this is natures way of fixing the global overpopulation crisis.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Without a crystal ball, I doubt that anyone can make any kind of predictions. But lets, just for a minute, imagine the suggestion in the following link were to play out;

https://metro.co.uk/2020/01/24/coron...emic-12116616/

This is how the coronavirus could spread across the world and become a pandemic

and specifically the text;

Last year, one study about a fictional coronavirus pandemic claimed 65 million people could die within 18 months.

Horrendous as it may sound, losing 65 million people in 18 months is still not enough to stem worldwide population growth. Without any pandemics, the population will rise by about 121 million in 18 months. Subtract the 65 million and there will still be a population rise of 56 million. OK, might not be as simple as that if the pandemic claims people of reproductive age, but its in that ball park.

And for some perspective to date, if the outbreak is considered to have started on the 31st of December, when it was notified to the WHO, then in that time, 41 people have died from it, whilst the worlds population has increased by about 5.625 million

So as yet, its not going to be the end of us.

As an aside, the latter number above is greater than the population of Scotland. So for anyone trying to imagine the scale of the "population emergency", another Scotland has been added to the world since New Years Day.

Just happened upon a debate on Radio Scotland where they are discussing a programme on population, that must have been on in the last few days;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000dl6q

Chris Packham: 7.7 Billion People and Counting

Not seen it, but sounds like interesting viewing if I can figure out how to get it played back again.....

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    So for anyone trying to imagine the scale of the "population emergency", another Scotland has been added to the world since New Years Day.
    Mibbies its time for the grubbiement to give notice that they will stop Child Benefit for all new-born children from one year hence. People might then reevaluate the planning of their families. Unfortunately this will do very little to change familial practices in many other areas of the world.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Another SNP clusterf...
    You mean like this utterly non-political post. Nothing but hypocrisy all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    You mean like this utterly non-political post. Nothing but hypocrisy all the time.
    was a valid response to the OP statement re the kids hospital in Edinburgh, which was some 8 pages back.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    was a valid response to the OP statement re the kids hospital in Edinburgh, which was some 8 pages back.
    That was in a thread entitled "Coronavirus". You brought the SNP into the discussion, in the second post on the thread, not me.

So the one week China hospital is open for business and admitting patients. Now why can't Scotland do that? That's not a political question. I don't believe any political party, if in charge, could do that. We can learn a lot from the Chinese, when it comes to productivity.

So one thing that it's puzzling me about the reporting of this coronavirus.

The mortality rate is being reported as being about 2%, that being the number if deaths divided by the number of reported cases. With the latest figures, that's about 700/34000

Given that the time between symptoms and death is on average 14 days (source = worldometers) although there were 41 days between the first reported case and the first reported death, should the true death rate not be total number of deaths to date divided by total number of cases 14 (or 41) days ago?

So 700 divided by, lets see, 2000. So a more realistic death rate of 35%?

According to worldometers, only 2,034 folk have actually recovered from it.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Hang on, someone at the door asking me to open up. Saying they are delivering a Chinese takeaway? I never ordered a Chinese takeaway.........

Seems that folk are cottoning on that deaths to date divided by cases to date is not an accurate measure. Worrldometers now report the death rate as being deaths to date divided by (deaths plus recoverees). Presently gives a mortality rate of 19%

The following is a quote from Paul Kavanagh's latest blog post.

"....new cases are appearing elsewhere in the UK and all across Europe. Yet today the British Government announced that it’s quitting the EU’s pandemic warning system. According to reports, the Department of Health in England wanted to remain a part of the EU’s Early Warning and Response System, but it was vetoed by Number 10. The EWRS is an online platform which allows health authorities across the EU to share information about serious cross-border health threats, but Number 10 has ruled that the UK won’t be a part of it because it’s fixated on a “clean break” from the EU.

Isn't it nice to know that Boris and Dominic are at the helm; looking after us at a time of crisis and not letting political dogma get in the way of saving lives? As Kavanagh goes on to say, it is highly likely that the Health Ministers in the devolved parliaments were advised of this decision rather than being consulted on it. They are playing with lives.

Only the wise die

Try telling that to "Mad Mike" Hughes, the chap who last month pancaked himself on the curved earth, trying to prove it was flat.

Seems Mercenary that Newspapers charge to get details on COVID19.

So had anyone in Caithness got it yet or thinks that they have got it?

I thought I might have got it last week, after eating curried bat at the Chinese. Had a terrible cough after it, and felt gey wabbit. As it turned, out, it was vindaloo strength, which went for my throat, and I misread the menu. It was cat, not bat! Doh!

Looks like it won't be so long before the Chinese containment effort looks magnificent, whilst the rest of the world's efforts look farcical. China builds 2500 beds worth of hospitals in a week, Scotland comes up with "drive in testing". China have it under control, whilst it runs rampant elsewhere.

The growth rate of cases outside China is deeply concerning. For those that say "it's just 40 odd cases out of 65 million" they should look at the charts of cases outside of China. Even on a logarithmic scale, that line is curling upwards.

I knew the SNP were to blame for Coronavirus. It's high time Nicola resigned and Scotland just capitulated and let others decide how best we should be looked after.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast