Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

meanwhile in the uk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cheltenhamfestival1303v1a-1.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	35193

Cheltenham Festival 2020

I thought that the US ban on flights from EU26 came into effect yesterday.

The image below is a screen grab from planefinder.net at about 15h15 today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane finder.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	35194

There are still dozens of flights in the air. I checked, and many are just freight but many more are passenger flights from all over Europe including Italy. For example, Alitalia Flight AZ630 is currently on its way from Rome to Miami. These flights can't all be full of Americans going home surely.

3OOOO dead in the US so far this year from influenza against 30 dead from coronovirus and twelve of those from the same old folks home!

Are we panicking about the right virus??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgXJQPC3Ro8

Think it depends how old you are and what your state of general health happens to be. I am not panicked but I am concerned, like everyone else I should imagine. I can be vaccinated against flu (and I am) but not against this coronavirus as yet. I am glad of the approach in Scotland and feel well informed by the Scottish Government and generally supportive of the measure in the UK.

“We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Think it depends how old you are and what your state of general health happens to be. I am not panicked but I am concerned, like everyone else I should imagine. I can be vaccinated against flu (and I am) but not against this coronavirus as yet. I am glad of the approach in Scotland and feel well informed by the Scottish Government and generally supportive of the measure in the UK.
    Let me change my intro!
    **********The CDC states that vaccination may prevent up to 50% of the infections. There is a newer/ stronger vaccination for over 65’s., which May assist, but nothing is guaranteed
    Of course one must take stats into account...
    So far this year in America, there have been 30,000 deaths associated to ‘common flu, whereas Covid19 is attributed to approx 30 deaths...now 60!
    I am not diminishing the situation, but when panic sets in it stresses people out, weakening their Immune Systems, thus making one more susceptible to ill effects.
    The facts are set out by the Centre for Disease Control. I didn’t make them up.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 16-Mar-20 at 13:20.

It’s time the Western World did what occurred in China.
    Lock every infected person in their Hospital/Internment camps which they built in approx 7 days.
    We are so far behind these ‘poor people’!
    The Chinese are so far advanced.... In Canada/North America they send people home to ‘self isolate’ and then those people go to concerts etc and infect so many others.
    There is a lot to say about an ‘Authoritarian Regime’....they get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post
    3OOOO dead in the US so far this year from influenza against 30 dead from coronovirus and twelve of those from the same old folks home!

Are we panicking about the right virus??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgXJQPC3Ro8
    I think exponential curves, and logarithmic scales are lost on some....

No one is vaccinated against the flu!??????
    I am and so is every nurse and doctor in the NHS.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I think exponential curves, and logarithmic scales are lost on some....
    They will learn the hard way as this thing gets worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    No one is vaccinated against the flu!??????
    I am and so is every nurse and doctor in the NHS.
    I think he was trying to say that flu vaccines reduce the risk of flu illness by about 50%.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Thank you Aqua. That is what I said.
    We can be on the same page’!

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    They will learn the hard way as this thing gets worse.
    The below video of toppling dominoes might help them.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6KNAKSe7Dg

The starting dominoes running round the outside are toppling linearly. The rate of topple is consistent. When the triangle kicks off, the rate of topple increases by 1 on each row.

We are still somewhere up near the peak of the triangle with the "So what, more folk die of seasonal flu" mentality. The same mentatlity that assumes that the whole triangle of dominoes will somehow be prevented from toppling.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    valuable input.
    In other words, so be it?
    W.A.T.P.

Actually, that is not the full picture with regard to flu vaccination as there is good evidence that vaccination reduces the severity of symptoms and duration of the illness if one is infected and also, possibly provides some protection against other strains of flu. It is to be hoped that any vaccine developed for covid 19 will achieve at least that and hopefully much more, especially since some scientists believe that this will be an ongoing, annual disease.
    Last edited by Fulmar; 16-Mar-20 at 15:00.

I see Rock Rose gin have made hand sanitiser and given it free to doctors surgeries and care homes.

Well done to them.

Yes, brilliant and I believe the gin is very good too!

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    I see Rock Rose gin have made hand sanitiser and given it free to doctors surgeries and care homes.

Well done to them.
    great touch
    W.A.T.P.

Am I the only one who wonders what it tastes like?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Am I the only one who wonders what it tastes like?
    Coffee...
    Or should that be coughy
    W.A.T.P.

Well that's us on way to a lock down now.

Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast