Today I came upon a truly fascinating and enlightening blog by former UK Ambassador, Craig Murray.

If you want to read it in full you can find it here.

The title of this thread is also the title of the article so rather than try to summarise it when its fairly obvious what it is about I thought I would just give a couple of quotes to give you a flavour of its content.

I should warn you, however, that if you are of a Unionist persuasion reading this article may reduce your happiness index down to "mildly miffed" or even "utterly bereft".

1. The Legal Position

" It is the legal opinion of the Government of the United Kingdom, as submitted to the International Court of Justice in the Kosovo case. The International Court of Justice endorsed this view, so it is both established law and the opinion of the British Government that a state has the right to declare Independence without the agreement or permission of the original state and its political or legal authorities."

2. Recognition of an Independent Scotland by Other States, particularly the EU

"It is Scotland, as a potential member with a long history of valued membership and a firm intention to join, which will have the natural support of the EU, the more so as there will be a strong desire to get Scotland’s fishing, energy and mineral resources back within the bloc. The disintegration of the UK will also be encouraged as a salutary lesson to any other states that consider leaving the EU. The political forces within the EU are very, very strongly behind recognition of Scottish Independence."

You won't read about this in the papers or hear about it on the BBC. They don't want you to know things like this.

And don't believe the Unionist scare stories either.