Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When 3 out of 4 isn't a majority

Default When 3 out of 4 isn't a majority

Well, there we have it. All 3 devolved administrations have now voted against and, therefore, have withheld consent from the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement Bill.

The Governments/Administrations in Wales, N.Ireland and Scotland have all said "No". But it doesn't matter a toss because England says "Yes".

The UK in a nutshell.

Yes but..., no but..., we wis assured that all the members of the union were equal partners. Wis I lied to?
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Yes, you were lied to and Gordon Brown has a damned cheek reappearing every couple of months to lie to us again.

As I read on Twitter somewhere this morning (I can't remember where now) the Tories continue to call for the "country" to unite and for us all to come together after recent political upheaval. They want to do this by ignoring the clearly expressed wishes of all 3 devolved governments. Tyranny isn't governance.

It really must be galling. All this mis information being fed to us...Corky constantly pointing it out, yet we the majority still vote for unionist parties. Maybe the majority are reasonably happy with things the way they are?

And it's not tyranny either.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    It really must be galling. All this mis information being fed to us...Corky constantly pointing it out, yet we the majority still vote for unionist parties. Maybe the majority are reasonably happy with things the way they are?
    Jeez what a philosophy to live your life by. You are "reasonably happy", I take it. No wonder the UK is spiralling down the toilet bowl if "reasonably happy" is the best we can aspire to.

Good luck in your world. The one where everyone is "reasonably happy" but no progress is every made because everyone is "reasonably happy" and doesn't want things to change.

I understand that at times of change most of the available energy goes on maintaining the status quo but that's is no excuse for settling for "reasonably happy". We can do much better than that.

There are always things that could be improved, no matter who is in power. That's why I used 'reasonably happy'

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    There are always things that could be improved, no matter who is in power. That's why I used 'reasonably happy'
    So, what if someone "improves" something that you don't like? Getting out of this useless and unequal Union is an improvement in my opinion. I suspect, however, it might knock your happiness index down to "quite pis*ed off".

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    So, what if someone "improves" something that you don't like? Getting out of this useless and unequal Union is an improvement in my opinion. I suspect, however, it might knock your happiness index down to "quite pis*ed off".
    You may be right, but fortunately it wont be happening anytime soon.

Are we forgetting here that the UK&NI electorate voted to leave the EU?
    The democratic will of the people must be adhered to.

Same at the indy ref 2014, the people voted to remain as part of the union and that should also be respected.
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Are we forgetting here that the UK&NI electorate voted to leave the EU?
    The UK AND NI! Would that be the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland And Northern Ireland?

so good they named it twice
    W.A.T.P.

As previously stated, all three devolved parliaments have now rejected the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill. The Tory government has now confirmed it will carry on with the Bill despite the absence of the "normal" consent process. It is the law of the land that the consent of the devolved parliaments be given for legislation such as this to proceed.

And so this sums up the UK perfectly. If you don't live in England you don't matter; your wishes are of no consequence; you can vote any way you like but it will be ignored.

Oh, and referring to an earlier post I think the word "tyranny" is very apt in situations, like this, where governments ignore the law and carry on with their agenda as if the law doesn't apply to them.

A taste of things to come.

I can think of plenty of countries in which tyranny applies- where people are being made to disappear, slaughtered, locked up and tortured. Scotland is not one of them in case you had not noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I can think of plenty of countries in which tyranny applies- where people are being made to disappear, slaughtered, locked up and tortured. Scotland is not one of them in case you had not noticed.
    Unreasonable, or arbitrary use of power or control is how my dictionary defines it. Seems to define exactly what the Tories are doing.

I obviously don't agree but you rock on with it and feel ground down if you want to. Happily and living in the same country as you, I am neither tyrannised or oppressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    I obviously don't agree but you rock on with it and feel ground down if you want to. Happily and living in the same country as you, I am neither tyrannised or oppressed.
    You are neither tyrannised or oppressed. Lucky you. You don't seem to care if other people are. It doesn't bother you that when the people of this country vote for a government it is the people of another country who decide what government we get. You just sit there; content with your lot and completely blind to the wider issues. I'm alright jack. You sound a wee bit happier than Goodfellers - shall we put your happiness index at "A'hm aw right thanks"?

What a depressing lot you Unionists are. Don't change it; leave well alone; it's aye been. Honest to God have you never wondered what might be beyond your self-imposed limited horizon?

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    You are neither tyrannised or oppressed. Lucky you. You don't seem to care if other people are. It doesn't bother you that when the people of this country vote for a government it is the people of another country who decide what government we get. You just sit there; content with your lot and completely blind to the wider issues. I'm alright jack. You sound a wee bit happier than Goodfellers - shall we put your happiness index at "A'hm aw right thanks"?

What a depressing lot you Unionists are. Don't change it; leave well alone; it's aye been. Honest to God have you never wondered what might be beyond your self-imposed limited horizon?
    The country voted in 2014 to remain in the Union, what dont you want to respect this democratic choice?
    By this vote the majority of Scots residents in 2014 accepted the way that democracy works in this country.
    W.A.T.P.

I guess for the same reason that the separatist loons manage to transpose 45% votes (46% if you include the green party) into 80% seats. And suddenly, 80% seats means 80% of votes or even electorate. It doesn't, all it means is 80% seats, thanks to the quirks of the First Past the Post voting system we use for electing MPs.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I guess for the same reason that the separatist loons manage to transpose 45% votes (46% if you include the green party) into 80% seats. And suddenly, 80% seats means 80% of votes or even electorate. It doesn't, all it means is 80% seats, thanks to the quirks of the First Past the Post voting system we use for electing MPs.
    Indeed in Holyrood we are governed by a mob that the majority of the electorate did not want, we are in a dictatorship I tells ya.
    W.A.T.P.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast