Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Independance Day parties

because we just had one perhaps
    W.A.T.P.

You're a bit early MI16 - The independence occurs this evening at 2300. After that, seems little point in having any more referendums as we will already be independent.

tru dat....
    W.A.T.P.

This illustrates why so many of us wish Scottish independence.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	self governing.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	35120

we are already higher taxed than anywhere else in the UK
    The SNP cater for those on the welfare system, the working person foots the bill and is considerably heavier hit than the working person South of the border
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    The SNP cater for those on the welfare system, the working person foots the bill and is considerably heavier hit than the working person South of the border
    Just wait until the Scottish govt take total control of social security payments. DLA/PIP payments alone will bankrupt us if you believe what Jeane Freeman keeps saying....no more assesments, just fill in a form, we trust you to tell the truth!

I'm sorry but that just isn't true - "Most Scots are paying less in the current tax year than in the previous year. The Scottish Government estimates this equates to 99 percent of taxpayers." see here.

But even if it was true then I would gladly pay more tax to get Scotland out of this Union.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    I'm sorry but that just isn't true - "Most Scots are paying less in the current tax year than in the previous year. The Scottish Government estimates this equates to 99 percent of taxpayers." see here.

But even if it was true then I would gladly pay more tax to get Scotland out of this Union.
    Maybe that's because all the higher rate tax payers have moved?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Maybe that's because all the higher rate tax payers have moved?

How come you didn't copy & paste the rest of the article?...………

However, when compared to the rest of the UK, many Scots pay more tax. All those earning more than £27,000 pay more in Scotland.The Scottish Government estimates that 45 per cent of taxpayers will pay more than their counterparts in the rest of the UK. This means that the majority of those living in Scotland will be taxed the same or less but those earning in the higher tax brackets will be more affected.

Or, I could have quoted this part:- "Boris Johnson’s claim that Scotland has the highest taxes anywhere in the UK is misleading. He is accurate that Scotland’s top band tax rates are higher than other UK nations but these affect those earning over £27,000, which the Scottish Government estimates to be around 45 per cent of the country. Scotland also has lower council tax bills due to a nine-year freeze on rates.".

Overall assessment that Scotland is the highest taxed part of the UK was found to be - "Mostly False".

How come you didn't copy & paste the rest of the article?...………

However, when compared to the rest of the UK, many Scots pay more tax. All those earning more than £27,000 pay more in Scotland.The Scottish Government estimates that 45 per cent of taxpayers will pay more than their counterparts in the rest of the UK. This means that the majority of those living in Scotland will be taxed the same or less but those earning in the higher tax brackets will be more affected.
    precisely, the hard working individual pays more in Scotland than RUK to subsidise those on low earnings or no earnings.
    The SNP target themselves to the claimant demographic, hence they are so popular with youth, the unemployed and unemployable
    W.A.T.P.

The problem is the country needs higher rate tax payers.

My guess this is why Scotland is depopulating. youngsters go off to university, then consider job options. Now, work in Scotland and pay more tax, or work in England and pay less with probably better prospects...ummm.

So work in England until kids are approaching 16, then move back to Scotland, cynical? Maybe.

My guess this is why Scotland is depopulating. youngsters go off to university, then consider job options. Now, work in Scotland and pay more tax, or work in England and pay less with probably better prospects...ummm.

So work in England until kids are approaching 16, then move back to Scotland, cynical? Maybe.
    the problem is that many folk are better off on the benefit system than they would be in paid employment, this is fundamentally wrong.
    No person should be better off sitting at home than they would be out doing a 40 hr week.
    This has bred a terrible work ethic in the nation.
    W.A.T.P.

I'd love to see some evidence that Scotland is depopulating. If it is then it is likely to be as a consequence of EU and other foreign nationals leaving because their status is so uncertain as a consequence of Brexit. As immigration policy is a reserved matter and the UKG dismissed out of hand the SG's proposals for a Scottish Visa there probably isn't much we can do whilst part of the UK.

Your second assertion is highly debatable as it ignores so many other important factors. Even if Scotland were the highest taxed, which it isn't, the cost of living in those areas of the UK where wealth is concentrated, ie. SE England, is so great it dwarves any supposed higher tax bill in Scotland. Anyone on average earnings is far better off in Scotland than they would be in London.

Since UKG still controls around 85% of the Scottish economy if there are poorer prospects in Scotland then that is another sad indictment of the Union.

Of course, moving to Scotland when you become "empty-nesters" is quite common these days. As you get older you are likely to worry more about health care, cost of living, quality of life, crime, etc. Lots of folk from other parts of the UK are recognising how much better things are up here compared to E, W & NI.. They are right and are very welcome.

precisely, the hard working individual pays more in Scotland than RUK to subsidise those on low earnings or no earnings.
    The SNP target themselves to the claimant demographic, hence they are so popular with youth, the unemployed and unemployable
    Exactly. The SNP like to think that Scotland will attract employers offering high quality, high paid jobs. Instead these go elsewhere because of the high tax they would pay if in Scotland, whilst they would get lower tax if these high quality jobs were set up elsewhere in the UK. So what is created is a low tax, low pay, low skills, low work ethic country.

Just wait until the Scottish govt take total control of social security payments. DLA/PIP payments alone will bankrupt us if you believe what Jeane Freeman keeps saying....no more assesments, just fill in a form, we trust you to tell the truth!
    How can it bankrupt us when we are obliged by law to balance the books WE control...and our deficit is wished on us by Westminster?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Happy Independance Day everyone!

Gonna be a busy one here. Union Jack underpants already on, but lots of preps to make for later. Aside from all the party food and drinks too look out, we'll better get ready for all the issues that the remoaners have been warning us about.

Better get the bath filled with water, the torches and candles looked out and do some last minute panic buying of food. Get to the bank to buy euros and dollars for when the pound falls through the floor at 2301. Get the fuel tanks all filled up, as apparently there will be none by morning. Check all the clocks are working as once the world stops turning at 2300, we'll need them to know when night stops and day starts.

A busy day then.
    Well, so far, nothing untowards seems to have happened. The sun seems to have risen, and everyone appears to be alive! The taps still run, and the hydro is still on. Even the internet still works!

Ultimate proof will be to go to Tesco later. If its open (does anyone know when that is?) and they have kumquats in stock, then all will be good. If not, then it will be that bloody Brexit's fault!

Quote Originally Posted by Oddquine View Post
    How can it bankrupt us when we are obliged by law to balance the books WE control...and our deficit is wished on us by Westminster?
    I wonder what they will do to balance the books? More cuts to public services or raise taxes?

Of course, moving to Scotland when you become "empty-nesters" is quite common these days. As you get older you are likely to worry more about health care, cost of living, quality of life, crime, etc. Lots of folk from other parts of the UK are recognising how much better things are up here compared to E, W & NI.. They are right and are very welcome.
    In over ten years since I moved to the far north I've noticed a gradual increase in people from England moving here too, mostly 'empty nesters'. My family in the central belt have noticed increased number of families moving from England too. The reasons are wide and varied but unfortunately include 'white flight' because of tensions in some of England's northern towns.
    Of course there are attractions too; more affordable housing, cheaper child care, no university tuition fees, free prescriptions, free hospital parking (except in two of Scotland's hospitals), which are all attractive to growing families. The slight increase in income tax more than compensates for the benefits that England doesn't yet enjoy.
    I'm fortunate to have friends from Poland, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany living and working in Scotland. All of them are disappointed that England chose to leave the the EU and are concerned about the problems that might cause.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Don't forget, over 1,000,000 Scots voted to leave the EU. It wasn't only 'England', I think Wales voted to leave too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast