Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
Of course, moving to Scotland when you become "empty-nesters" is quite common these days. As you get older you are likely to worry more about health care, cost of living, quality of life, crime, etc. Lots of folk from other parts of the UK are recognising how much better things are up here compared to E, W & NI.. They are right and are very welcome.
In over ten years since I moved to the far north I've noticed a gradual increase in people from England moving here too, mostly 'empty nesters'. My family in the central belt have noticed increased number of families moving from England too. The reasons are wide and varied but unfortunately include 'white flight' because of tensions in some of England's northern towns.
Of course there are attractions too; more affordable housing, cheaper child care, no university tuition fees, free prescriptions, free hospital parking (except in two of Scotland's hospitals), which are all attractive to growing families. The slight increase in income tax more than compensates for the benefits that England doesn't yet enjoy.
I'm fortunate to have friends from Poland, the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany living and working in Scotland. All of them are disappointed that England chose to leave the the EU and are concerned about the problems that might cause.