Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: James Levack/Anne Tait

Default James Levack/Anne Tait

Looking for information on James Levack and Anne Tait. they were married in Watten in 1789.Anne's parents were John tait and Elspeth Young who i think were married in Watten in 1754. i am looking firstly for info on where James Levack was born- they had a large family - one of his sons,James was born in Aberdeen so i would like to find out if all the children were born in Aberdeen or back in Caithness. James(son) was a farmer in Mybster

Culross Guest

Default Levack/Tait

Hi Fiona,
    I'm coming at this from a different angle starting with grandfather John Henderson Brown in Edinburgh (b. 1902, d. 1986, ran a fruit shop in Montpellier in Edinburgh) - his mother was Williamina Grant Henderson (b. Halkirk 11 Jul 1871) 3rd daughter of Alexr Henderson and Esther Levack (Esther b. in Aberdeen abt 1841, marriage to Alex Henderson 30 Mar 1860 at Halkirk). You'll know that Esther's parents were James Levach and Margaret Miller whose kids were George (b. 1836), the said Esther (1841), Elizabeth (1849), Robert Miller (9 Jul 1855), James (25 Sep 1858) and Johan (23 Nov 1861). Like you I am stuck here - not sure what other family James Levach and Anne Tait had. Interesting that our Esther was born in Aberdeen like her dad. Have you any light to shed on this conundrum?
    All the best.

Default Levack / Tait

I come from the Henderson / Levack branch too, but can go back no further than Levack / Tait.
    Happy to exchange what I've got and hear yours.

Regards
    Trinkie

Hi there
    Great to hear from you both - thought I would never find connections!
    Alexander Henderson and Esther Levack were my gg grandparents through their son James who married Helen Hourston from Birsay.
    Look forward to comparing notes etc!

Culross Guest

Hi (Fiona MacKay is it?)
    Am I right that we are talking about James Henderson born 12 Dec 1864, recorded in the 1881 Census as a 'Clerk in SB Office' residing at Spittal Roadside, Halkirk, Caithness?
    Do you know what is the 'SB Office'?
    Best wishes,
    Culross