Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobs Wanted / Services Offered Forum Section NEW SECTION NOW SET UP

Default Jobs Wanted / Services Offered Forum Section NEW SECTION NOW SET UP

Just a suggestion, how about adding a Jobs Wanted / Services Offered Forum Section. I am sure the forum members would find this helpful if people could also list services offered.

It does happen occasionally. A separate section where you could advertise what is being offered - gardening, plumbing, computer support etc would be useful for people looking to sell their services or gain employment.

I do realise that there is a business listing section, I am suggesting a place where individuals rather than established business could promote their skills and services and people could advertise work on offer - in a private capacity.

I think this is a good suggestion.

A Jobs Wanted section has been suggested several times over the years. The problem is that employers do not look for staff that way. They expect people looking for work to respond to their vacancy ads. We do not want to create more work to continually review those type of ads.

For - "gardening, plumbing, computer support etc would be useful for people looking to sell their services or gain employment". Basically this is self employment and people already advertise their services in our business section www.caithness-business.co.uk and anyone can add a page for free by completing the from at https://caithness-business.co.uk/submit_details.php
    There is complete mix of long established business to part -time to new businesses - many of whom do not have premises but work from home.
    So a new section would merely be repeating what is already there meaning anyone looking for a service has to look in two places rather than one.

The business page also allows links at any time to a new website or facebook page that can have updates.

We also offer to add any business articles for free that can link to the business page but few people seem to send us anything about their business offerings.

We have always tried to help Caithness businesses by offering as many services as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    The problem is that employers do not look for staff that way. They expect people looking for work to respond to their vacancy ads.
    I wish somebody would tell the Job Centre that.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

The problem with the Business section is the News spambot keeps pushing any local business adverts down. Any chance of shifting the Postspamnewsbotmachine to its own "News" thread?

Brian

Link set as my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fernie View Post
    The problem is that employers do not look for staff that way. They expect people looking for work to respond to their vacancy ads.
    A bit like people applying for their jobs expecting a reply from them but it never happens....

I think a new job section would be great, Yossa had the right idea in the 1980,'s
    https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...ZjEi2UsQPdkPjl

At least he tried.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Bill, I’m sorry to write this, but your arguments are very wrong!

Take a look at all the December posts in the business section you linked to. There isn’t a single post that’s remotely relevant to Richardj’s suggestion! Who in their right mind would look in the business section for a school kid offering grass cutting services or a student offering informal computing skills or fixing a PC?

We (or at least I) are thinking of skills and community building, not setting up formal businesses. Community spirit is in short measure these days, surely our community website shouldn’t forbid it!

i don’t think I’m exaggerating (much) here. Surely this site should be more like Gumtree than a Highlands and Islands Enterprise corporate website.

A better title might be Community Services Offered/Wanted.

I have some services I could offer for free or in exchange.

Excellent idea!

i have plenty of experience to offer in exchange for some work needing doing that i can't do myself. I would rather it be that way than putting a price on a job and getting undercut by the local neds who only want beer money

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    Bill, I’m sorry to write this, but your arguments are very wrong!

Take a look at all the December posts in the business section you linked to. There isn’t a single post that’s remotely relevant to Richardj’s suggestion! Who in their right mind would look in the business section for a school kid offering grass cutting services or a student offering informal computing skills or fixing a PC?

We (or at least I) are thinking of skills and community building, not setting up formal businesses. Community spirit is in short measure these days, surely our community website shouldn’t forbid it!

i don’t think I’m exaggerating (much) here. Surely this site should be more like Gumtree than a Highlands and Islands Enterprise corporate website.
    You are referring to the business section in the forum but I m referring to the business pages www.caithness-business.co.uk

I have asked employers in the past if they would look for employees on a forum and they say definitely not.

If someone is self employed full time or part time would it not be better to take free page in the business pages. The business section in the forum can be used in several ways but not many do.

If it is community spirit and not paid for business then by all means post in the general section.

I am NOT referring to the business section on the forum!

Anyway, both business sections are equally irrelevant to the ideas we are discussing in this forum.

I am NOT talking about employers looking for employees!

It would be better if you read and digest all the posts and respond accordingly.

Ok - We will discuss where best to set up a new section under - Community Services Offered/Wanted

I am thinking to removed the Volunteering Opportunities section as it is hardly used and replace it with this new one.

Apologies if I seemed too argumentative - just trying to tease out if it will work or not but if we don't try it we will never know.

I will also think how best to promote the new section via the front page and Facebook etc to get it started.

Bill, I was not thinking of free services or community based activities, simply a forum location where people could put up the skills they offer or skills wanted.

While many people do not like the idea of a the gig economy, it does exist (although probably not in Caithness) and the basis of this is to offer services or respond to jobs on offer that may be very short term, or temporary. People usually have a range of skills, some may be relevant to a full-time job, other skills less so, and these specific skills could be used to earn more money while meeting individuals or companies short term requirements.

For some people who have a job, they may also want to develop other opportunities and develop a business on a part-time basis, either to earn additional money or to try out a business idea within the local area before fully committing to a new business.

For local employers and businesses they may find an area where they can offer short term contracts or by the job activities useful, without the need to employee someone permanently. This could range from a specific technical skill (database development, web development) or on a manual level.

I am glad you are now considering the suggestion.

Thanks Bill! Apologies for being so direct, but I think this is a really good idea and I feared it would be brushed aside.

Thanks richardj! You’ve clearly thought about everything in more detail than I have. I think the new forum could cover everything from business incubation to skills development and community service. I have some skills I could offer for free or for a nominal fee. I would like to obtain experience and develop my skills in this area, but I wouldn’t feel comfortable charging anything near commercial rates.

I don't venture far off the main forums, but if I spotted someone advertising a set of skills that I may require I am more likely to engage them at that point than go looking for them.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I know of someone in Wick looking for a job as a traffic warden. Any vacancies or demand for this kind of service?

I know of someone looking for a job as a forum troll...there's plenty of demand but no vacancies for the org job at the moment...

A new local traffic warden has been appointed and starts work later this month.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast