Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Saving £400,000 with hybrid vehicle fleet?

Default Saving £400,000 with hybrid vehicle fleet?

As the Maths teacher used to say - show me your workings!
    - a fleet of 30 hybrid vehicles the nissan leaf for example costs £28,000 that is a fleet cost outlay of about £840,000

- the AA reckons on year 1 depreciation as 40% that means a depreciation of £336,000

- add to this the cost of installing additional charging points

- factor in that council workers need to run in and out to charge and then disconnect the cars (wonder why the charging points were so close to the Council?)

- add in the administration of the scheme I expect there is an online booking system (IT infrastructure at each pick up point, software and technical support)

- factor in the obstacle that bureaucracy becomes and people will give up and just use their own cars! (think there has been any survey to see if people are
    using their own transport in a silent protest?)

On paper I am sure it is wonderful but if the true costs are included I think we would find it a waste of time. Those cars are sitting at Wick Council offices every time you drive past - - it never seems to be just one! If anyone can provide information on the cost benefit analysis that includes the miles claimed before and after the new scheme was introduced I would love to see it.

Correlation is not causation. Other reasons for a drop in mileage are the increase in video conferencing, making mileage fraud harder and council cutbacks which see them doing less with fewer staff.

Apologies everyone my maths was in error. The council has a fleet of 60 cars not thirty so make that outlay £1.68 million and the depreciation £672,000
    -then add on 21 charging points
    - then add on admin costs
    - ICT booking system x 21

Love to know the details of the Enterprise contract - think we can ask in an information request?