Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Is it possible for Scottish Labour to be any stupider?

Default Is it possible for Scottish Labour to be any stupider?

Today, Richard Leonard, branch office manager for Labour in Scotland, announced their Westminster election campaign. In it he pledges to build 120,000 new council houses. Sounds great until you realise that such matters are devolved to Holyrood and it is for the Scottish Government to decide on council house building policy not Westminster. They seem to think they can take all for mugs.

In the article, it is mentioned that Labour cannot dictate how the £70 billion promised would be spent, as Holyrood decide that, but Labour hoped it would be used the way it was intended...They also said they hoped to be controlling the Scottish govt soon!

The full article attached https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-50315660

Quote Originally Posted by Corky Smeek View Post
    Today, Richard Leonard, branch office manager for Labour in Scotland, announced their Westminster election campaign. In it he pledges to build 120,000 new council houses. Sounds great until you realise that such matters are devolved to Holyrood and it is for the Scottish Government to decide on council house building policy not Westminster. They seem to think they can take all for mugs.
    As an MSP, whats he campaigning for the Westminster election for? He already has a seat in Holyrood, and a job there that he is meant to be doing. Like Wee Krankie, he seems to think its OK to abandon his day job to go and play in an election he isn't even standing in.

Richard Thingy is the leader of the Labour Party in Scotland, not just in Holyrood. It’s his job to launch the Scottish Labour campaign for Westminster. Similarly for Nicola Sturgeon, Willie Rennie and whoever is the Scottish Conservative leader.

I’ve been enjoying these political posts. Goodfellers and Orkneycadian continue to convince me that I shouldn’t vote Conservative. Anfield has reminded me why I won’t vote Labour. And Corky Smeek is putting me off voting for the SNP with every post. Where oh where shall I put my wee cross?

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    Richard Thingy is the leader of the Labour Party in Scotland, not just in Holyrood. It’s his job to launch the Scottish Labour campaign for Westminster. Similarly for Nicola Sturgeon, Willie Rennie and whoever is the Scottish Conservative leader.
    So this just confirms the level of duplication that exists by having the Scottish version of Parliament and political parties. And how irrelevant they are. If the Scottish parliament were for any use, it would continue through this election period unabated. Of course its time to slow up is when the Scottish Government Elections are in progress. Instead, all the "Scottish" parties stop business at each and every turn. Party conferences, Scottish Elections, UK Elections. Its little wonder they get nothing done.....
    Last edited by orkneycadian; 10-Nov-19 at 13:45. Reason: Spotted a typo

Goodfellers and Orkneycadian continue to convince me that I shouldn’t vote Conservative. Anfield has reminded me why I won’t vote Labour. And Corky Smeek is putting me off voting for the SNP with every post. Where oh where shall I put my wee cross?
    Brexit party?

If I have to make a final decision in the polling booth, it won’t be the first time.

My comments about Corky’s posts would have been better placed on a different thread. He makes a good point in his opening post on this one. Goodness knows what Richard Thingy was thinking when he made his claim about house building.

Meanwhile, Orkneycadian sounds more like an English Tory absentee landowner with every post.

I’ve been enjoying these political posts. Goodfellers and Orkneycadian continue to convince me that I shouldn’t vote Conservative. Anfield has reminded me why I won’t vote Labour. And Corky Smeek is putting me off voting for the SNP with every post. Where oh where shall I put my wee cross?
    The way the world is these days, you might find we are four close friends who love Jo Swinson, so came up with a plan to troll internet chat rooms and make everyone vote Lib Dem, forget Russian interference, it could be us.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    The way the world is these days, you might find we are four close friends who love Jo Swinson, so came up with a plan to troll internet chat rooms and make everyone vote Lib Dem, forget Russian interference, it could be us.
    Well, I never thought I'd say it but you actually made me laugh.

He made me laugh too.

Meanwhile, Orkneycadian sounds more like an English Tory absentee landowner with every post.
    Well, now that I have been rumbled as BoJo's long lost cousin, that could indeed be the case. Still struggling with the "born in Orkney" bit, and wondering where all this land is that I am absent from.....

Well, I was in Orkney this week and I didn’t see you. That makes you an absentee in my experience. I assume you failed to be born in Orkney and were instead born with a silver spoon in Weymouth.

Ah, I can explain the lack of you seeing me. I was over in Wick looking for a bargain in the Birons Ironmongers Big Closing Down Sale.

They are the biggest stockholders of Organic Pertinacious Obduracy in the North. Did you buy any?

This is some text taken from the BBC website this evening.

A Labour government would "certainly not" allow a Scottish independence vote until after the next Holyrood election in 2021, the party's leader has said.

So, a Labour Government (OK, just humour me here), which is likely to have a handful of Scottish seats at most; is currently on 12% in the Scottish polls and is now only the 3rd largest party at Holyrood is sending out the message to the Scottish electorate that they don't give a toss how they vote. Some people never learn.