Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hydrogen cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hydrogen cars

Why don't we 'skip' the electric battery car and go straight to hydrogen? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50212037

Probably because the government can't find an honest way to tax you for using water yet. You should also ask why the rollout of electric cars has been so painfully slow and why they are horrendously expensive for what they are? Someone, somewhere is making a huge killing on the fossil fuel technology and doesn't want to give it up just yet. Just remember that the hydrogen fuel cells were first made around 90 years ago...

90 years ago, that's interesting.....90 years ago we had paper and wood bi-planes, now we can travel to the moon, yet hydrogen technology hasn't progressed much....as you say, there must be a reason 'they' don't want us to have it!

You would think with this so called climate emergency, this technology would be rolled out as fast as possible.

Some manufacturers have been developing Hydrogen fuel cells in the last few years but the pace has been slow. In my opinion, battery technology isn't quite there yet for full electric cars, the better ones are still very expensive and charging stations still few and far between, though admittedly this is improving. Hybrids are a good compromise but they still emit some gases. For city dwellers electric is maybe a good option with better infrastructure and shorter journeys but for more rural areas they aren't quite so good yet.

there are a few cars on the market with 300+miles range now with fast recharging capability also.
    Id be interested to see if that can be achieved in the real world though.
    Also I would not normally shop in the brand new market, I wonder how these cars will fare when 5 to 10 years old?
    Top gear (entertainment I know) did a piece on used electric cars Nisan Leaf and Renault Zoe a few years old I think and their range was abysmal.
    W.A.T.P.

I saw that Top Gear and because the batteries were worn out the car was classes as worthless! I was in Inverness last week and called into Hawco VW just to look at electric cars. I was shown a lovely Golf, you would never know it was electric to look at....then came the question about range......140 miles! And that's not real world driving. So, electric car on hold for now. When you can easily do 300 miles and not worry about charging point, I will switch as I do have to do some fairly long journeys quite often.

Doesn’t make them very green if they are binned after 6yrs does it?

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    The thought of driving behind a tanker loaded with pressurised hydrogen gas fills me with dread.
    The skippers on the ferries in Orkney don't share your fears......

https://images.app.goo.gl/zGQMCBSQA6D1NYjD6

What is that thing for?

Ok, I’ve been reading about Shapinsay’s hydrogen economy.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...hydrogen-power

Interesting and impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    What is that thing for?
    I guess you will now have gleaned, its a hydrogen tube trailer. Used for transporting compressed hydrogen gas from the point of manufacture to the point of use. Yes, at this stage, still drawn by a standard diesel powered artic unit, but maybe the day will come where the unit is also hydrogen powered.

Thanks for confirming. Since I couldn’t read the lettering on the photo, I read one of the articles your Google search had brought up!

It seems technology moves fast. Lets hope this becomes a practical reality. I will buy a hydrogen powered car as soon as a practical one is available as I'm not so sure about battery powered cars. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52328786

A fuel filter will soon sort out dirty diesel