Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hydrogen cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I seriously doubt you'll ever find yourself behind a tanker of liquid hydrogen. Hydrogen cannot be liquefied by pressure unless its temperature is 33 deg K or lower (in old money about -240 deg C). And as I pointed out above, it leaks out of everything. It cannot be stored efficiently. Liquid hydrogen is plenty dangerous, but mainly because of its temperature; and the energy involved in liquifying and keeping it liquid is immense. Complete non-starter as a mass-market fuel.

I know it has to be colder than hell to liquefy the stuff, but liquefaction should cure some of the problem with leakage!

And as we approach the (hopefully slight) possibility that Agent Cob may be able to form a government (if that's quite the word I'm looking for) that will nationalise its way back to the glory days of the 1950s, 60s and 70s, we remember the good old standby for the leaky cooling system on BL cars; crack a raw egg into the coolant and let the engine tick over for half an hour. I wonder if there's an equivalent for hydrogen?

I can’t think of a hydrogen equivalent of the poached egg trick. Anyone?