Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hydrogen cars

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by moshmosh View Post
    The eGolf will shortly be discontinued and replaced with the ID.3.
    I wonder if that's why they were trying to encourage me to buy one, no mention of an ID.3. Offered excellent trade in on my current Golf (way more than webuyanycar) Makes sense now. Hopefully the ID 3 will have a much better range.

340 miles on the top spec version, 200 odd for the lesser specced ones
    Still poor unless you are shelling out on a range topper

I note that what car have not managed to get an EV to manage over 300 in the real world yet.
    Last edited by mi16; 12-Nov-19 at 11:48.
    W.A.T.P.

the ID3 will be higish 20k mark to buy with a 100000 mile or 8 year (whichever 1st) guarantee of batteries retaining charge at above 70% - so if you but the best one you should be looking at a range of around 240 miles up to the 8 year old or 100k mark.
    £35k for top spec = £4375/year or 35p mile after which will be scrap value
    W.A.T.P.

On those figures, not yet worth the investment. I'm all for saving the planet but that seems quite a steep price to pay. They need to hurry the hydrogen cars along. I don't mind paying a lot for a green car so long as it's going to last more than eight years.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    On those figures, not yet worth the investment. I'm all for saving the planet but that seems quite a steep price to pay. They need to hurry the hydrogen cars along. I don't mind paying a lot for a green car so long as it's going to last more than eight years.
    obviously that is not taking running costs into account either
    W.A.T.P.

Then there are other problems connected to electric cars that little is talked about -

Cobalt mining for the batteries
    https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2019/...tric-vehicles/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-49759626
    Last edited by Bill Fernie; 13-Nov-19 at 14:25.

Default Hydrogen, shmydrogen

Wow. This place looks just the same after all these years......

Loads of issues with hydrogen as a fuel; low energy density, difficulties of storage, ruinously expensive and inefficient to produce by electrolysis........ as a mass-market solution to transport needs it's pretty much nowhere. Fuel cells may be different, but many of the same problems exist. Bit of a summary >>>here<<<

The storage thing is easiest imagined by thinking of a kid's balloon full of helium - within an hour it's noticeably deflated because helium molecules are small enough to pass through the balloon wall rather easily. Hydrogen molecules are much smaller again. "Normal" gas-tight joints in pipes will allow some hydrogen through. Nightmare...........

Plus the other issues Bill mentioned....... want an environmental and human disaster? Congo, Australia....... they're all over. Euro 6 diesels are a good staging post - but oh yes. The Government banned IC engines from 2040..........

And another inconvenient truth is the 'whole life' carbon emissions of an electric car.

To get the raw materials and manufacture an electric car battery the emissions are about 3200kg of CO2 more than a conventional engine. The emissions to recycle the battery are similar at 3000kg of CO2. So to supply and later recycle a typical electric car battery is about 6200kg of CO2. Therefore the only saving is during the operational life of the car.

A family size petrol car may typically emit 200gCO2 per km. So a conventional car would have to be driven 6200/0.2 = 31000km. Just short of 20000 miles before an electric car becomes "greener". Also that assumes the electricity to charge the battery is 100% supplied from green sources. Which it isn't.