Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Decriminalising drugs

Default Decriminalising drugs

Its a pretty sad day when the only apparant way to deal with the soaring rates of crime in relation to drugs is to decriminalise them;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50262647

I guess when we are at it, we could have Europes lowest level of knife crime, by decriminalising knife crime. We could have a zero level of road traffic offences - if only we did away with road traffic laws. In fact, lets just get rid of all laws. Then we would be the most crime free country in the world!

Decrimalising for personal use...

Knife crime is already perfectly legal for personal use, you can stab yourself as much as you like without breaking the law.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

The article doesn't really say why decriminalising would help, other than to reduce the 'stgma' of being a drug user. Police wont know if you are a user or a dealer, so your still going to be searched. Maybe the law should say that in your own home it's ok, but if you are out in a public place, it's still an offence. Dealer then has to deliver to your address. Or maybe that's what the saferoom strategy is about, dealers deliver direct to the room and you can only use there. Will make intelligence gathering rather easy though.

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    Decrimalising for personal use...

Knife crime is already perfectly legal for personal use, you can stab yourself as much as you like without breaking the law.
    I suspect that if I went out into the town with a 12" carving knife, saying to passersby, "Don't worry, I am only going to stab myself", I'll still end up in the dock for breach of the peace at the very least.

Shocking to hear more about the circumstances surrounding the murder of Jodie Chesney in the news today, and the drugs culture that (mistakenly) led up to it. A culture we can well do without.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    ...the drugs culture that (mistakenly) led up to it. A culture we can well do without.
    Yep, something has to be done about the gangland culture surrounding drugs. Reminds me of the gangland culture that surounded prohibition in the USA...

Legalise, Regulate, Control... Just like alcohol (a legal drug) today.

If alchohol was new to the scene today it would never be allowed on the shelves.
    Between that and tobacco more folk are killed than any other drug

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    If alchohol was new to the scene today it would never be allowed on the shelves.
    Between that and tobacco more folk are killed than any other drug

What about Coffee (caffeine), Chocolate (anandamide), Cheese (psychoactives)... etc

What about Coffee (caffeine), Chocolate (anandamide), Cheese (psychoactives)... etc
    No, I don't think so.