Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: What would you do with £105M?

Default What would you do with £105M?

What would you do if you won a hundred and five million pounds on the EuroLottery?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50529122

For a start, I’d buy a fancy house in Thurso, and maybe a bar, a café or a hotel. And then an electric car. And I’d give up my job at some point.

Nobody needs £105M, I'd give most of it away.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I would invest it for the benefit of the community rather than giving it away. With wealth comes responsibility.

I’ve been indulging my fantasy today. I like the big houses in Janet Street but I’d like more of a view. One of the big houses up past the college would be nice, as close to the salmon pool as possible. Building a new one overlooking the salmon pool would be even better. Or I could buy Pennyland House, which would kill several birds with one stone.

In addition to, or instead of, food/drink and accommodation, I’d like to invest in an excellent shopping experience, either create a new business or invest in conjunction with a long established one such as JA Mackay, or an ironmonger. I would try to be careful to open new businesses that don’t put existing ones out of business, which may not be easy!

Then I would invest in facilities for young people. Suggestions welcome!
    Last edited by aqua; 24-Nov-19 at 16:12.

How about building a factory for making the yellow paint that is used for roadmarkings? Definitely won't put any ironmongers out of business. But should certainly get 'e Org moving again!

Hire an assassin to shoot Trump, then see if any of Guy Fawkes & Co's descendants are looking for a job
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

I would build a factory and employ everyone with the lowest form of wit and put them to work making and selling bottles of anti-sarcasm juice and pots of anti-bitterness cream

That’s a lot of money. Think of the benefit that the local community could get from that.

Oops.

Thought it was another WADF thread.

I'd build a secret lair in an extinct volcano, and have a big pool for my sharks with laser beams on their heads. After that I'd just have to make it up as I go along..

Link set as my Homepage

You've been watching too many old Bond films!

Those Bond villains had style!

Link set as my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    How about building a factory for making the yellow paint that is used for roadmarkings? Definitely won't put any ironmongers out of business. But should certainly get 'e Org moving again!
    The problem here is that existing yellow paints don’t have the intended effect in the east of the county. Instead, I could invest in research to produce more effective versions.

How about investing some of your £105 million in one of these then?

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    The problem here is that existing yellow paints don’t have the intended effect in the east of the county. Instead, I could invest in research to produce more effective versions.
    Maybe the more effective version is one with a catalyst in it, that when, put in contact with rubber for say, 60 seconds, causes the rubber to self combust. If the timing period of the traffic lights at the end of Bridge Street is more than 60 seconds, then it may be advantageous to adjust the amount of catalyst.

That should sort it out.

How about investing some of your £105 million in one of these then?

That is an excellent suggestion!

Maybe the more effective version is one with a catalyst in it, that when, put in contact with rubber for say, 60 seconds, causes the rubber to self combust. If the timing period of the traffic lights at the end of Bridge Street is more than 60 seconds, then it may be advantageous to adjust the amount of catalyst.

That should sort it out.
    It would also discourage people standing chattering in the street!

Should be no need for them to be standing on the yellow lines chatting. Unless the pavement is blocked with ironmongery.

I thought he’d closed down.