Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scot Rail

Ok, thanks. Why do they do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie747 View Post
    I made it all up. Every single word. You've caught me out.
    So here is the truth:
    My name is actually Magnus but I call myself Maggie at weekends.
    I've never been on a train in my life.
    I have no relatives.
    Glasgow? never been there.
    I have never spoken to anyone, ever.
    Hope that clears things up.
    Thank you for this post. It takes real guts and significant mental strength to admit wrongdoing in a public forum. Some others should take a leaf out of your book and do likewise.

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    Excellent points Fulmar, although I wonder if it’s within the rules to have a single carriage that the conductor can’t get to when the train is moving.
    Is the conductor anything other than a Revenue Protection Officer these days anyway? Sounds like there was a good plan to put all the pissheads in one carriage and segregate them from the rest of the passengers.

I thought the conductor’s role involved elements of ensuring safety.

Putting all the p-heads in an isolated coach sounds great. The problem is when others get stuck in the coach with the p-heads.

I seem to recall that there was a plan to go down to single crewing on some trains, but it was only the unions that stopped it. With everything automatic on a train these days, I can't think there's many safety related jobs for a conductor to do.

Yes, the unions have been fighting driver-only trains throughout the country for a long time, mainly on the grounds of safety, ostensibly at least. As an outsider, it’s hard to know what’s really going on.

Makes you wonder how "trains" like the automated transit system at Stansted Airport, can work safely, not only without a conductor, but also without a driver.

Yes, but aren’t they local trains that don’t go very far or very fast?

I suspect that the biggest hazards are the stopping and starting, and people getting on and off. Once they are cooped up inside, its less of an issue if it goes 2 miles or 200 miles.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12