Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Internet Speeds..

Default Internet Speeds..

I was wondering what sort of download speeds people are getting from BT. I live near Lybster (out in the cuds) and we're getting 1.8Mbs which is barely enough to watch a 720p video without buffering. Is there any way of hurrying up BT's Fiber Optic cable project?

Link set as my Homepage

At the moment on the outskirts of Wick 5.3 but it is higher sometimes.

I doubt you can hurry up the programme as it been an ongoing problem for many years. You can check online the progress on some web sites.

Uswitch says we can get up to 67 on fibre if we want to pay for that.

Just put your post code in for most sites to check . Here is one https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/postcode_checker/

Plenty others.

I'm with Plusnet and the max speed they can give me on fibre is claimed to be between 16 and 23mb. mine's is just around a steady 17mb at most and they say they can't give me anything faster as it isn't available in my area yet. (Pulteney) I don't know if anyone else in Wick is getting faster speeds though.

Here on the lyth exchange the last speed check was going to slow to register and the time before that it was 0.27 mb On a good night we have seen it break through the 1mb barrier

https://www.scotlandsuperfast.com/
    goto the gov website above and find out yourself
    and also findout when things might change
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

It is bad here.. BT promised us 10Mb minimum! We are in the process of complaining with a view to lowering the bill to reflect the download speeds. I need the cable connection to keep ping time down for gaming, but need the higher download speed to watch TV etc. BT have sent us out a 4G hub, but unless we buy an Ethernet Wireless Bridge I cant connect it to the home network and NAS. This means we have to switch connections on the TV to watch some saved movies etc.

Here's an interesting article to read..
    http://news.hie.co.uk/all-news/3m-bo...ast-broadband/

I'll keep posting on here any more results from BT, but I think its just a case of 'Hurry up and wait!'
    Thanks for your time everyone,
    Brian

Link set as my Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    It is bad here.. BT promised us 10Mb minimum! We are in the process of complaining with a view to lowering the bill to reflect the download speeds. I need the cable connection to keep ping time down for gaming, but need the higher download speed to watch TV etc. BT have sent us out a 4G hub, but unless we buy an Ethernet Wireless Bridge I cant connect it to the home network and NAS. This means we have to switch connections on the TV to watch some saved movies etc.

Here's an interesting article to read..
    http://news.hie.co.uk/all-news/3m-bo...ast-broadband/

I'll keep posting on here any more results from BT, but I think its just a case of 'Hurry up and wait!'
    Thanks for your time everyone,
    Brian
    Brian, have you concidered mobile? I use EE with a netgear M1100 router. ping to London approx 50ms @ 60+ mbs. Prices coming down all the time. I get 300gb @ £45 pm. no FUP. 4K UHD+HDR no problem. Its worth a look if you're into gaming and can get a good signal. I found BT a pita. couldnt even get a decent phone line connection. Best days work was the day I sacked BT ;-)

Couldn't agree more: BT are deplorable, and have no serious intention of upgrading my locality. Ever. I used to argue the price down but since they are incompetent as well as expensive, I cancelled the contract. I spent 40 quid on a 4G mini-router and the improvement is wonderful. I can get streaming speeds and unlimited data for less than BT charged for 0.5MB/sec. And I no longer have the nuisance of getting out my chair to answer a landline phone, when I don't even know if the call is for me or not! BT is a dinosaur that has not quite realised it is extinct: good riddance...

Update!! As of 10 minutes ago the BT contract has been binned, and I'm using my phone as a hotspot! I'll get one of those hub thingys and an ethernet wireless bridge later, and the will do for now..

Link set as my Homepage