Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Pay and Display

Default Pay and Display

https://caithness-business.co.uk/article/9927

Phase 2 of the double yellow lines are on the way with pay and displays being sneaked in under the heading of "off street parking" the double yellows was pushed through under the heading of "traffic management ".
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

We would save more money having Caithness Council again, instead of the money being spent in Inverness, and our not fit for purpose puppet Councils sacked, they match our train service, Health Service, roads, and the investment in the County, they will soon get tourists in Thurso by it being advertised as a ghost town. I'm sure double yellow lines will help fund more wastage by our out of date Councillor's,all they seam to think about is enforcing more bureaucracy. A quick look at all the businesses on Estate agents sites for sale in Thurso for Sale is shocking, and due to the bureaucracy the service for Tourists is a disgrace, no signs, and can hardly get a cup of tea after Five during the week and Sunday all day. Caithness is used by Highland Council to just bring its rubbish up and dump in Caithness.

Time to get "traffic management" at the traffic lights at the corner of Francis Street and Thurso Street. How anyone thinks its sane to park at the stop line at traffic lights is beyond me. I came through Wick last night, and someone who had parked their car about 3 feet from the stop line was getting a toddler out of the back of it, on the drivers side. All in fairly poor lighting, with dark clothing on. Only in Wick does this kind of selfish parking occur. And only in Wick, do folk need to feel the need to put a "No Parking, Keep Clear" sign on a door right at the stop line for the lights.

I think that the council deserves every penny it can take from us - they built us a magnificent fish market and ran that award winning Caithness Heating and Power project after all.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post
    I think that the council deserves every penny it can take from us - they built us a magnificent fish market and ran that award winning Caithness Heating and Power project after all.

it wouldn't have been needed if they didn't build that eyesore of a council office in Wick. there was nothing wrong with the building in Girnigoe street....£10m of our hard earned council tax down the flush-hole

Will all the car parking at the river be a Pay and Display in Wick as well as the coop car park in Thurso? I think a lot of local businesses will lose a lot of customers if this is happening.

yup, it will be a pay n display at Wick, that's the only reason they're resurfacing it, so they can justify charging for it. Not as if any sane Wicker will park there though, plenty back streets to park on...

Who voted for this stupid parking policy in Highland Council? I guess Tesco will do well out of this decision to charge for parking.

I think the Weekers have voted for it themselves, with their parking antics. Not sure what the hoo haa is all about. Every other town has pay and display parking these days, some with a free initial period in the low months, some without. Some even have you putting your registration number into the machine to stop you passing your part used ticket to another person when you leave. I was in a Tesco car park last week where they snap your picture on a camera as you arrive, then you have to spend at least £5 in Tesco to get a voucher to enter into the parking dalek in the carpark, so that when you leave, they do not send you a £100 fine / charge.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I think the Weekers have voted for it themselves, with their parking antics. Not sure what the hoo haa is all about. Every other town has pay and display parking these days, some with a free initial period in the low months, some without. Some even have you putting your registration number into the machine to stop you passing your part used ticket to another person when you leave. I was in a Tesco car park last week where they snap your picture on a camera as you arrive, then you have to spend at least £5 in Tesco to get a voucher to enter into the parking dalek in the carpark, so that when you leave, they do not send you a £100 fine / charge.

They could do with something like that at Raigmore to stop all the inconsiderate motorists who use it as a Park & Ride service into Inverness.
    Michael Stone is innocent.
    Convicted without any forensic evidence and failed to be picked at any ID parade
    So who did kill Lin & Megan Russell
    http://www.michaelstone.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by concerned resident View Post
    We would save more money having Caithness Council again, instead of the money being spent in Inverness, and our not fit for purpose puppet Councils sacked, they match our train service, Health Service, roads, and the investment in the County, they will soon get tourists in Thurso by it being advertised as a ghost town. I'm sure double yellow lines will help fund more wastage by our out of date Councillor's,all they seam to think about is enforcing more bureaucracy. A quick look at all the businesses on Estate agents sites for sale in Thurso for Sale is shocking, and due to the bureaucracy the service for Tourists is a disgrace, no signs, and can hardly get a cup of tea after Five during the week and Sunday all day. Caithness is used by Highland Council to just bring its rubbish up and dump in Caithness.
    Too True !
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux.

We don't have a trillion-dollar debt because we haven't taxed enough; we have a trillion-dollar debt because we spend too much.” Reagan

Dont forget that our energy bills are higher because of a green tax, our flights are higher because of an airport tax and our insurance is higher because of an insurance tax.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post
    ...our flights are higher because of an airport tax...
    But cheaper than they should be because of a lack of fuel tax that all other forms of transport have to pay.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Time to get "traffic management" at the traffic lights at the corner of Francis Street and Thurso Street.
    Yeah saw a bus last week turn at that corner but couldn't complete turn because of cars parked outside shop. The bus driver honked horn for about 30 seconds. Couldn't see what happened next, possibly the car (legally) waiting at the lights reversed back to let it on,

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Howie View Post
    Yeah saw a bus last week turn at that corner but couldn't complete turn because of cars parked outside shop. The bus driver honked horn for about 30 seconds. Couldn't see what happened next, possibly the car (legally) waiting at the lights reversed back to let it on,

When i drove HGV round here i often came up to that junction and was unable to get round it due to the cars parked at the shop right on the lights and the ignorant car drivers hugging the centre line preventing anything wider than a small car getting through. I had a right go at one bloke actually sitting over the centre line who accused ME of not being able to drive. I told him at least i used the highway code when passing my test and didn't get my licence from a lucky bag :-). I have been behind the moron who thinks he owns Caithness roads a few times and he never indicates, brakes at the last second and pretty clearly doesn't bother to look when at a junction going by the near miss he had.