Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Wick Street Design

Default Wick Street Design

I can't help feeling that this is rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

I recall a Thurso resident complimenting Wick on it's superior shopping. It subsequently dawned on me that they meant out-of-town shopping. I in turn am envious of their High Street shopping.

It seems that you can't have both - you either have out of town developments or you keep your High Street.

Given the publicity photos for the Wick Indoor Market were taken from an indoor mart in England, my design for Wick High Street would be a photo of Thurso High Street

The high street in Wick is well and truly on it's way out. High rents and business rates with little footfall has seen to that. Also, given that there has been numerous attempts to set up a permanent indoor type market in Wick over the years and plans seemingly always fell short of the council's "expectations", i'm surprised they have the cheek to even think about making one now. There is an excellent unused building that would be perfect for an indoor market, namely the old jobcentre. It's up for sale at £78k i read the other day so not a great deal of money for the council to forego in the setting up of an indoor market. They can't say it won't meet expectations considering it was a public building and has disabled access. I suppose it will be like the Wick and Thurso charettes ideas from around 2013, a great idea until it is time to actually implement it then the excuses began.

The old job centre was sold at auction a while ago for next to nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    The old job centre was sold at auction a while ago for next to nothing.
    Dunno where you got that info from Kevin, the auction is this coming Tuesday?...https://www.futurepropertyauctions.c...asp?id=6235991

Well, whoever buys it will need to get it fitted out with toilets, I do remember a total lack of toilet facilities there.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Dunno where you got that info from Kevin, the auction is this coming Tuesday?...https://www.futurepropertyauctions.c...asp?id=6235991
    Its already been through the auction a while ago and I noticed it was for sale the day after the auction, I phoned to see if it had sold and was told that it never got to the £50,000 guide price on the auction day but was sold privately post auction for considerably less. Whoever bought it has tried to "flip it" with no luck so it seems they are chancing the open market again.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Aye it seems so Kevin. I didn't know it had been sold before sorry, just thought that this was the first time round. Still if they bought it for £50k or less and can get the asking price this time round, that's a tidy profit i suppose.

In the present time of uncertainty and in Wick, unless someone has a specific purpose for it I would have thought a brave investment.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.