Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Seperatist Arithmetic

  1. #1

    Default Seperatist Arithmetic

    Do the seperatists employ Diane Abbott to do their counting for them?

    https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...arch-indyref2/

  2. #2

    Default

    Has the true figure of Saturdays protest march been released yet? I know the prediction was 250,000 but I think if Nicola Sturgeon couldn't be bothered to go then i bet it was a lot less

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    The AUOB march was a great success. If you know Edinburgh you will know that when the leading walkers arrived in the Meadows while people were still leaving Holyrood Park you’ll realise how big it was. It was a great fun day out, apart from the rain at the end. Nicola Sturgeon did not attend because she was busy elsewhere and this was not an SNP event.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

  4. #4

    Default

    I thought this vanity project nightmare was over? But here it is starting up again.....

    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politic...-1-5021629/amp

    I guess it will be like the Holyrood building. Budget = 40 million, actual cost = 440 million.

    Or Trams to date. Budget = 498 million. Actual cost = 1.1 billion.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    I thought this vanity project nightmare was over? But here it is starting up again.....

    www.scotsman.com/news/politics/edinburgh-tram-extension-november-start-date-for-construction-of-207m-project-1-5021629/amp

    I guess it will be like the Holyrood building. Budget = 40 million, actual cost = 440 million.

    Or Trams to date. Budget = 498 million. Actual cost = 1.1 billion.
    For once I have to agree with you orkneycadian. After the last debacle I would have thought the 'planners' would have learned their lesson. Like the last time they cannot know for sure what lies under the streets over which they plan to lay the tracks. The cost of excavations, adaptations and modifications will send costs through the roof.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

  6. #6

    Default

    And despite all that expenditure, only about 1 in 20 public transport vehicles that go up Princes Street are trams. The rest are buses.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    And despite all that expenditure, only about 1 in 20 public transport vehicles that go up Princes Street are trams. The rest are buses.
    Have you been to Edinburgh recently between 1600 hrs and 1800 hrs on a weekday? It's one long line of busses moving at less than a walking pace. I've sauntered the length of Princess street faster than these buses.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Do the seperatists employ Diane Abbott to do their counting for them?
    Concluding they do. Krankie on a daily drum beating session this week referring to last weeks "overwhelming" result. All 45% of it.

  9. #9

    Default

    Mike Russel was banging the same drum on the Radio 4 Today programme this morning. Insists that to be denied an indyref 2 is undemocratic.

  10. #10

    Default

    If indy2 happens....I hope the schools/colleges have economic lessons explaining to 16 and 17 year olds that they will be the ones paying far higher taxes to pay for independance. we all know oil gas cash will dry up in the next couple of years, that only leaves the working population to fund all these promises. Thank God I've retired with a decent pension.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Concluding they do. Krankie on a daily drum beating session this week referring to last weeks "overwhelming" result. All 45% of it.
    Boris Johnson claims a mandate to govern the UK with 43.6% of the UK vote so it's not unreasonable for Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP to claim a mandate for a second referendum with 45% of the Scottish vote. It's called democracy.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Ubique
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    If indy2 happens....I hope the schools/colleges have economic lessons explaining to 16 and 17 year olds that they will be the ones paying far higher taxes to pay for independance. we all know oil gas cash will dry up in the next couple of years, that only leaves the working population to fund all these promises. Thank God I've retired with a decent pension.
    If, as you argue, oil and gas are going to run out in the next few years why is it that ten oil companies are planning to invest 6.8 billion in six major new projects in the North Sea.
    I know, we’ve discussed this before, that this could have a detrimental effect on climate pollution, however the technology and accompanying safeguards are improving all the time. Apparently large oil multinationals from the UK, the US, Canada, Norway and the Far East want to start exploiting new oil and gas fields off Scotland.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    If, as you argue, oil and gas are going to run out in the next few years why is it that ten oil companies are planning to invest 6.8 billion in six major new projects in the North Sea.
    I know, we’ve discussed this before, that this could have a detrimental effect on climate pollution, however the technology and accompanying safeguards are improving all the time. Apparently large oil multinationals from the UK, the US, Canada, Norway and the Far East want to start exploiting new oil and gas fields off Scotland.
    I never said oil and gas would run out.

    I said the cash (tax) will run out. All these companies will be spending huge sums on R & D into carbon capture technology. That's where any profit will be spent, therefore no tax to pay.

  14. #14

    Default

    Current oil tax raised.....

    Remember the SNP predicted about 7 billion a year in tax....frighteningly inaccurate.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	33 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	35019

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    Boris Johnson claims a mandate to govern the UK with 43.6% of the UK vote so it's not unreasonable for Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP to claim a mandate for a second referendum with 45% of the Scottish vote. It's called democracy.
    There's a small matter that the election was to elect MPs to represent their constituents at Westminster. Theres a convention that if there is a majority of MPs from one party, then that party is invited to form a government. Unless of course you are the SNP when at Holyrood, even if you do not get enough MSPs to form a majority, you still try and claim the right to form a government. Anyway, back to Westminster. Enough MPs were elected to afford Boris that invitation.

    Back here in Scotland, the SNP won enough seats to allow them to send 47 or 48 MPs to Westminster. Alas, 47 or 48 is significantly short of the 326 they would have needed to have the majority of MPs. So they have not been invited to form a government, and they need to be content with the 47 or 48 MPs that they have. And content they should be, getting 80% of the seats with just 45% of the vote. But, when she specialises in grievance politics, I guess contentment is not in Krankie's repertoire.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gronnuck View Post
    If, as you argue, oil and gas are going to run out in the next few years why is it that ten oil companies are planning to invest 6.8 billion in six major new projects in the North Sea.
    I know, we’ve discussed this before, that this could have a detrimental effect on climate pollution, however the technology and accompanying safeguards are improving all the time. Apparently large oil multinationals from the UK, the US, Canada, Norway and the Far East want to start exploiting new oil and gas fields off Scotland.
    Alas, that is not compatible with the SNP aspiration to be carbon neutral;

    https://www.gov.scot/news/scotland-t...-zero-society/

    Scotland to become a net-zero society

    Something extremely interesting in that link though......

    "Scotland’s contribution to climate change will end definitively within a generation under the Climate Change Bill to be voted on by the Scottish Parliament later.
    The landmark legislation commits Scotland to becoming a net-zero society by 2045 – five years before the rest of the UK and in line with the advice from the government’s independent expert advisors, the UK Committee on Climate Change."



    So here we have, on the 25th of September, the SNP, at last defining a generation. 25 (and a bit) years. Hallelujah! That puts indyref2 out to (2014 + 25 and a bit =) 2039 or thereabouts.

    Excellent then that that's all cleared up.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    I never said oil and gas would run out.

    I said the cash (tax) will run out. All these companies will be spending huge sums on R & D into carbon capture technology. That's where any profit will be spent, therefore no tax to pay.
    https://www.ft.com/content/933fe2b8-...a-f0c92e957a96

    Shell reveals it paid no UK corporate income tax in 2018


  18. #18

    Default

    Somehow, this is growing the economy....

    https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...deficit-grows/

    SNP ministers accused of secrecy as Scots economy shrinks and deficit grows

  19. #19

    Default

    The image below (source GERS data - 2018/19) shows the proportion of the UK's net fiscal balance which has been ascribed to Scotland by Westminster. The chart shows the figures bumbling along between 10% and 30% until 2015. Then all of a sudden the figures rocket skywards to the point that Scotland's share of the UK net fiscal balance for 2018/19 is between 54% and 60% depending upon whether you include or exclude North Sea Oil.

    At this point it is worth remembering that Scotland's population is roughly 8.2% of the total population of the UK. What these figures are telling us is that with just 8.2% of the UK population, Scotland created between 54% and 60% of the UK's deficit in 2018/19.

    Now, these figures are so ridiculous that it makes you wonder what happened in Scotland, towards the end of 2014, that could possibly have meant the UKG would like to try to create the impression that Scotland has a deficit problem that might make re-entry to the EU difficult.

    One final irony is that this thread is entitled "Seperatist (sic) Arithmetic" when the reality is that it is the UKG's arithmetic that is highly questionable.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fiscal balance.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	56.0 KB 
ID:	35125

  20. #20

    Default

    Odd that the Scottish govt don't jump up and down complaining about this. Maybe it suits them to keep quiet.

    Richard Murphy (the piece you are quoting almost word for word) is funded by the European Union. Just thought I would mention that

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •