Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hendersons from Latheron

Default Hendersons from Latheron

Looking for info on John Henderson who married Elizabeth Sinclair in 1792 in Latheron parish..They had a son John who married Margaret Grant in 1820 in same parish,and had the following childrenthat i know of :
    Margaret 1820
    Hugh 1822
    Donald 1826
    Ann 1827
    Alexander 1831(my ancestor)
    Margaret Grant died before 1840 and John married again,this time to Helen Miller,daughter of George Miller and Louisa Mackay.John and Helen had a large family(about 10 i think) Helen died in 1865 at Egnal (??)
    In the census of 1871 Louisa Mackay is listed as head of family with 3 grandchildren,Jessie 18 John 14 and Helen 12. Loiusa was born in the parish of Tongue and her parents where John Mackay and Margaret Mackay.
    Hope someone can help fill in the gaps.
    Alexander Hendersonthen moved to Spittal as a blacksmith

Default Re: Hendersons from Latheron

Quote Originally Posted by fmackay
    Looking for info on John Henderson who married Elizabeth Sinclair in 1792 in Latheron parish..They had a son John who married Margaret Grant in 1820 in same parish,and had the following childrenthat i know of :
    Margaret 1820
    Hugh 1822
    Donald 1826
    Ann 1827
    Alexander 1831(my ancestor)
    Margaret Grant died before 1840 and John married again,this time to Helen Miller,daughter of George Miller and Louisa Mackay.John and Helen had a large family(about 10 i think) Helen died in 1865 at Egnal (??)
    In the census of 1871 Louisa Mackay is listed as head of family with 3 grandchildren,Jessie 18 John 14 and Helen 12. Loiusa was born in the parish of Tongue and her parents where John Mackay and Margaret Mackay.
    Hope someone can help fill in the gaps.
    Alexander Hendersonthen moved to Spittal as a blacksmith
    Egnal is in Lybster, it is half way between the road from Lybster to Rumster and the road from Swiney to Rumster just north of Achow.

John Henderson and Hellen Miller married at Egnal 30 June 1840, here is the 1841 census return for their household:

District: 16 Folio: 0 Page: 13
    Address: Eignal

HENDERSON John M 45 Farmer Caithness
    HENDERSON Hellen F 20 Caithness
    HENDERSON John M 15 Caithness
    HENDERSON Ann F 10 Caithness
    HENDERSON Alexr. M 9 Caithness
    HENDERSON Margt. F 1m Caithness
    FORBES Ann F 30 Female Servant Caithness
    MCLUDLAN Hillen F 15 Female Servant Caithness
    SUTHERLAND Peter M 15 Agricultural Labourer Caithness
    MUNRO William M 11 Agricultural Labourer Caithness

If Alex became a blacksmith he must have learnt his trade from someone and there was a Donald Henderson who was a blacksmith at Swiney, here are the census returns for him and his next dool neighbour whom I think it is highly likely will be close relatives.

District: 15 Folio: 0 Page: 2
    Address: Village Of Swinay

HENDERSON Donald M 50 Blacksmith Caithness
    HENDERSON Margeory F 45 Caithness
    HENDERSON John M 25 Cooper Caithness
    HENDERSON Isabella F 20 Caithness
    HENDERSON Ann F 14 Caithness
    HENDERSON Janet F 12 Caithness
    HENDERSON William M 10 Caithness

District: 15 Folio: 0 Page: 3
    Address:

HENDERSON William M 65 House Carpenter Caithness
    CHISOLM Cirsty F 60 Female Servant Outside Census County (1841)

Hallo Fiona
    Those are My Hendersons too - Alexander Henderson b. 1831 is my great grandfather. !
    His son James my grandfather !

John Henderson marr Helen Miller in 1840,
    their son George b. 1853 - father of Arthur Henderson who was killed in 1st World War and was awarded VC and MC.

Happy to exchange info.

Thank you Fred..... very helpful.
    SD

Thank you very much Fred for that information
    it certainly filled a few gaps!
    Would i be right in assuming that the John (15) listed in the census would be his son by his first marriage? I wondered why there was no son named after him as that seems to be the norm.
    thanks again

Thank you very much Fred for that information
    it certainly filled a few gaps!
    Would i be right in assuming that the John (15) listed in the census would be his son by his first marriage? I wondered why there was no son named after him as that seems to be the norm.
    thanks again
    If he was listed as 15 he would probably be between 15 and 19 years old and certainly from the first marriage.

Click on http://www.fredc.me.uk/index.htm

Go to Latheron Old.

Click on "Henderson" for the surname and "John -193" for the forename to see John who married Margaret and Helen.

Then click on Last to see Donald the blacksmiths family next door.

Once again thank you very much for the info - i am quite new to geneaology so any help is fantastic.
    Can you tell me why there can be such a difference in the ages as recorded in the census?
    Also ,what is a tacksman? (i'm really showing my ignorance now!!)
    thanks again

Once again thank you very much for the info - i am quite new to geneaology so any help is fantastic.
    Can you tell me why there can be such a difference in the ages as recorded in the census?
    Also ,what is a tacksman? (i'm really showing my ignorance now!!)
    thanks again
    Iin the 1841 census the rule was that all people over the age of 15 had their ages rounded down to the nearest 5 years, someone 24 would be down as 20. The rule was more often than not broken, often those between 10 and 15 had their ages rounded down as well and sometimes ages wern't rounded at all. I've found the ages in the 1841 census to be inaccurate anyway, I don't think most people knew how old they were and just guessed.

A tacksman was someone who had a lease on their farm, not common in those days, most people could be evicted by the land owner at any time. A tacksman wasn't landed gentry but was certainly the next best thing and well above the ordinary crofter. Sometimes it is spelt "taxman" which confused me for a while.