Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Cormack/Mowat info sought from NZ!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Cormack/Mowat info sought from NZ!

Hi everyone - I am descended from John Cormack (b Wick 1837-1907) who emigrated to New Zealand in the 1860s. His parents were James Cormack (1805-1845) and Janet Mowat 1811-1883. James was descended from John Cormack (1779-1841) and he from Matthew Cormack (no dates). Janet's parents were John Mowat (1780-1846) and Margaret Sinclair (1782-1850). John was son of Donald Mowat (1747-1792) and Elizabeth Sutherland (1750-1792).

The information I have of these people prior to the NZ emigration is very slim, and if anyone can provide any further information or suggestions as where to look, I would be most grateful. Also any flavour beyond a few dry dates!

As well as this, I have just discovered that my best friend of many years also has a great grandfather named Mowat. She is descended from Alexander Mowat (b 1813 in Wick/married Marjory McRae in New Zealand) . Naturally I am wondering if Alexander Mowat was related to my great grandmother Janet Mowat. However they have no names for Alexander's parents, just his birth (Ive seen no birth certificate) and the fact that he was a sea captain. Ive just been told Alexander's father was Bailiff to Duke of Sutherland.

Any grains of enlightenment from anyone would be very welcome! Thank you.
    Last edited by Nzjen; 22-Jun-19 at 09:54. Reason: new information