Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Combination Fever Hospital, Harris Park 1908

Default Combination Fever Hospital, Harris Park 1908

John William Sutherland, born 21 Feb 1885 Canisbay, died 2 Oct 1908, Parish of Wick, at the "Combination Fever Hospital, Harris Park, usual residence 47 Dempster Street, Pultneytown". I can't find any information regarding the Combination Fever Hospital" in Wick. The closest reference is to a combination almshouse/workhouse in Thurso.
    Anyone have any information on the history / location of this hospital?
    Thanks,
    Carol Thomas
    Scarfskerry
    CCT
    We don't stop laughing because we grow old. We grow old when we stop laughing.

Hi, As far as i know, the combination fever hospital was in Harrow park(not Harris park) at the top of the Wick cemetery and is now two houses. Not sure when the town and county hospital (now the timbury unit) in hospital road started taking the fever cases, i know they were there in the 1950s, perhaps the heritage centre might help some more.

Thanks for that!

Hi
    The Wick Combination Fever Hospital was set up to deal with fever cases. The first permanent hospital for fever was actually set up in 1849 - the first in Highland I think. It then moved to the Harrow Park building which was replace in 1910 by the Wick Town and County which then was a fever hospital. The best current source of infomation on it is the book Amulets to Isotopes by Dr David Boyd which is all about medicine in Caithness. Dr Boyd was a consultant in the Caithness General. I am presently researching the hospitals of Caithness - wedsite at www.historyofhighlandhospitals.com. Feel free to get back to me if you would like to know more.