Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hayseed Dixie...

Get them to play the Thurso Auction Mart before it gets ripped down! decent sized venue and kind of appropriate place to have it i reckon.

Haud on a second Jeid. i've just remembered they're a cover band, therefore you wont like them!

Right then a few FACTS first

Hayseed Dixie are from Nashville, Tennessee, not Edinburgh.

They WILL NOT be playing Loopallu in September this year.
    "It is with immeasurable regret that I must tell you all now that due to circumstances placed completely beyond our control, Hayseed Dixie will no longer be involved with co-promoting or performing at Loopallu, as the festival has made the decision to go it without us. "

Brothers Don Wayne and Dale Reno are the sons of legendary banjo player Don (Duellin' Banjos) Reno. (google for yourself).

Their front man Barley Scotch does love Scotland and if they're in Edinburgh, then yes you'll find them in the Blind Beggar.

The Blind Beggar Breakdown was dedicated to the pub after the hospitality shown to the band on their first visit.

At the time their promoter Jeff was co-owner of the BB.

As well as their many covers they do play their own songs and I can't recommend them enough.

This comes from a 43 year old rock fan who has has seen pretty much everything the rock world has to offer.

Get them up there, and tell Jeff that Casey says Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post

They WILL NOT be playing Loopallu in September this year.
    "It is with immeasurable regret that I must tell you all now that due to circumstances placed completely beyond our control, Hayseed Dixie will no longer be involved with co-promoting or performing at Loopallu, as the festival has made the decision to go it without us. "

Brothers Don Wayne and Dale Reno are the sons of legendary banjo player Don (Duellin' Banjos) Reno. (google for yourself).

Their front man Barley Scotch does love Scotland and if they're in Edinburgh, then yes you'll find them in the Blind Beggar.

The Blind Beggar Breakdown was dedicated to the pub after the hospitality shown to the band on their first visit.

At the time their promoter Jeff was co-owner of the BB.

As well as their many covers they do play their own songs and I can't recommend them enough.

This comes from a 43 year old rock fan who has has seen pretty much everything the rock world has to offer.

Get them up there, and tell Jeff that Casey says Hi.
    if they are from Nashville TN, why do they claim to be from Laurel Hill NC on their myspace??

Quote Originally Posted by moncur View Post
    Haud on a second Jeid. i've just remembered they're a cover band, therefore you wont like them!
    It's ok, I won't be going. Plus, I don't recall saying I dislike cover bands, I just find it dull.

Point taken jeemag, but I'm gauging interest for someone.

Yeah i doubt you would get a lot of replies from different folk on this forum. But I do know that a lot of people read the threads without posting anything so in a round about way it may get people talking, saying "I heard Hayseed Dixie might be playing [insert venue name here]! That'd be ace if its true!" Maybe even by asking punters at your workplace what they think would give you a fair idea of whats best to do.

Dave Pearce has played Thurso before, as did Snow Patrol many years ago, The Saw Doctors are coming up soon, and itd be good to see another big act come up to Thurso to taste Skinandis world famous BURGERS!!

Bands love the burgers for some reason, it's a novelty!

I've asked a few people at work and I've had mixed replies. I'll keep asking though.

Sure they are, Casey... sure they are

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    It's ok, I won't be going. Plus, I don't recall saying I dislike cover bands, I just find it dull.

Point taken jeemag, but I'm gauging interest for someone.
    I'm serious about the barn thing though, when I was a younger loon, I had never been to a barn dance that was not packed. If there is one thing Caithness has a lot of, its huge barns with electricity. This type of band woudl be ideal for that ,they could even play the same barn two nights running and still pack it out and make a ton of money. I honestly would rather see a festival in a huge barn than on a trailer in a park. I always thought the barn belonging to Sinclair who owns the park, just outside Thurso on the road to Castletown woudl be an ideal venue! Its within walking distance if the taxis are busy and there is a ton of room for parking if permission could be had. The Big Barn Gig!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeemag_USA View Post
    if they are from Nashville TN, why do they claim to be from Laurel Hill NC on their myspace??
    They don't! That's not their myspace page!

Theirs (not actually run by them but sanctioned and as officail as it gets) is http://www.myspace.com/hsdx

John Wheeler (Barley Scotch, singer, fiddle and guitar) has run a recording studio in Nashville for around 15 years although he hasn't been home much for the last three years. The Reno brothers, as I've said are the sons of the legendary banjo pioneer Don Reno. (go google it for yourself)

Their official website is http://www.hayseed-dixie.com. On there (in The Outhouse) you can read complaints from Americans who've known the band for years about them not playing at home.

I've met the guys several times. (not just sat in an adjacent room)

Barley Scotch in a Dumbarton strip
    Last edited by Casey; 15-Jun-07 at 13:55.

Very good Casey, I like the official website (you forgot the dotcom part). Looking at their itinerary for this year i'd say you'd have a hard job of getting them up to Thurso Jeid unless you wait until winter. I wonder if these are migratory yanks who go home when its cauld I got some good friends who live just outside Nashville, must ask them to see if they heard of them.

They just played Nashville on 25th May (Their only US show this year)

You can download the whole gig here.
    http://www.archive.org/details/hd2007-05-25

Home taping of their shows is approved by the band

They just played Nashville on 25th May (Their only US show this year)

You can download the whole gig here.
    http://www.archive.org/details/hd2007-05-25

Home taping of their shows is approved by the band
    Nice link, thanks, maybe if they start playing at home moreI will be able to see them, I am about 6 hours from Nashville but surely they play Indiana and Kentucky too.

Jeid,

I see you've got the guys coming up on the 23rd August.

Hope all goes well!

JEID! YOU'RE A NUGGET!!!! lol thats the same day as the chilis gig at hampden. Did you do that on purpose? Why I ought to......... *goes off on a tangent of ramblings*

Nothing to do with me. In fact, I was doing some research for the boss.

He never booked them, the band decided that they should come here and play, so they're setting the door tax and what not. They just hired the club from the boss.

I'll be going, should be a cracking night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeid View Post
    Nothing to do with me. In fact, I was doing some research for the boss.

He never booked them, the band decided that they should come here and play, so they're setting the door tax and what not. They just hired the club from the boss.

I'll be going, should be a cracking night.

Nah! We got them?

Not really, they're coming up, but Brian never booked them lad. They are just using Skins as a venue and the band are doing the advertising etc... well, someone is gonna be doing it for them I believe. The boss spoke to me last week.

Awesome

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12