Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Birons Ironmongers

Default Birons Ironmongers

Could we please put to bed the rumours that we are closing, from time to time we do get asked this question, but lately we have been asked on a daily basis.

We have just started year nine and our business is doing fine, we hope to instigate growth plans in the near future.
    I will take this opportunity to also thank all that support our shop as your business is very much appreciated.
    Visit our shop at 20 Bridge street, Wick
    Tel/fax 01955 604655
    'like' us on Facebook - BironsIronmongersWick

Long may you continue your shop is a real boost to Wick. The best of luck with your future plans.

A fantastic Local shop giving fantastic service.

great establishment..
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

I see that you are in fact closing down. Passed the shop today and there's a notice in the window. So what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    I see that you are in fact closing down. Passed the shop today and there's a notice in the window. So what happened?
    Up until our last post it has been gossip, but the decision to put double yellow lines on the street is a bad one that will have an adverse affect on town centre shopping that doesn't fit our business model.
    Tel/fax 01955 604655

Does this mean that the pavement will no longer be blocked with bins and wheelbarrows ?. That can only be a good thing.

small fishing village outside wick called pulteney

no that can only be a bad thing,
    lovely shop well kept and a bloody shame that's its closing and or moving, I love this little shop and the folk that run are very nice friendly folk, I like the way they have their wares on show outside, it harks back to yester-year, when I was little the pavements always have stuff on them, jean the fruiters at the end of the street was awash with boxes of fresh fruit, now all that's about is litter and empty shops, a very sad sad state our once lovely little heritage town has become, sign of the times ???? or a sign that the a highland council just doesn't work, no money being injected back into the town,
    if it wasnt for pubs it would be tescos for us all

Quote Originally Posted by Birons View Post
    ....but the decision to put double yellow lines on the street is a bad one....
    Don't let that put you off, this is Wick we're talking about, a double yellow line won't stop people parking there.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander1 View Post
    Does this mean that the pavement will no longer be blocked with bins and wheelbarrows ?. That can only be a good thing.
    You are correct, the pavement will be free again.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Am I hearing this correctly? Birons is closing down because there will be double yellow lines in the street outside?

Quote Originally Posted by aqua View Post
    Am I hearing this correctly? Birons is closing down because there will be double yellow lines in the street outside?
    That is correct.

Ok, but why?

Ok, but why?
    Rather than cherry pick reasons I will copy and paste what I just posted on our Facebook page. Thank you for your interest aqua.

An update on our planned closure, we are now sold out of wheelbarrows, incinerators, 8foot clothes poles, but still have 7500 other products to take advantage of a bargain. Despite trying to get any sense out of the famous four it appears they are more intent on be right than doing the right thing. It’s well documented that double yellow lines have an adverse effect on retail trade and one of the reasons I committed myself to our present location at 20 Bridge Street is we are visible and easy to get to. I concede that selfish and bad parking does give some coarse for concern and needed sorting, but double yellows is trying to crack a nut with a sledge hammer. You will note that the street seems to be clear and easy to access now due to the social media interest in this controversial plan.
    1. The negative side to keeping the street clear with double yellow lines is, drivers will drive faster at a time when the councilors have campaigned for a 20 mile an hour speed limit.
    2. It will be more difficult to cross the road near to our shop because at least when you go between parked cars you are a third of the road covered before making a dash for the other two thirds. ( I have CCTV evidence to show elderly people trying to cross the road if anyone would like to see it)
    3. People that have children or pets with them are much less likely to leave them in the car park and walk to the street.
    4. Cars coming and going at short intervals has a traffic calming affect while making the town look busy and a place of commerce.
    5. Visitors to the town often call on us as the first shop they come to and we give advice of where to park, get something to eat, places of interest to see – like the Heritage Museum etc. Without this chance to pull over they are most likely to drive straight through and out the other side, who would want to visit a town littered with unattractive empty shops?
    6. It may have gone unnoticed, but shops are closing all over the country and for a number of reasons, the latest being of the uncertainty that is being caused by Brexit and I am continually being asked “you’re not really closing are you” We are a limited company trading as Bridgnorth Ironmongers Limited, (Birons for short) and it’s not a secret to check us out with company’s house to see how fragile business is at the moment. Even the Reverend Nugent has chipped in with his unhelpful comment “The mannie from Birons is using a manipulative spin technique”, but I can assure everyone that the yellow lining of Bridge Street is a bad idea and I anticipate that I will only be the first one go. We will be disappointed to give up on nine years of hard work just when it’s all coming together, but it seems out of our hands.

Thanks Kevin.

Since I’m not a Weeker and I haven’t been following recent developments regarding the longstanding parking problems on Bridge St, I was blissfully unaware of your issues.

I’ve just read all your Facebook posts and the comments. My first reaction is that your experiences during temporary road closures due to wind turbine transportation and installation of fibre cables may be very different from the steady state situation of a Bridge Street that’s keep clear of obstructions by double yellow lines. I understand your frustration, but I don’t agree that there is strong objective evidence for your conclusions. Obviously, you know your market, your customers and your sales patterns better than anyone else, so I’m not claiming you’re wrong. I’m just not anywhere near convinced that you’re right, which isn’t the same thing.

Although I don’t know Councillor Sinclair, I like what she has said in the past and I’ve read enough of her comments on your Facebook to conclude that her actions and words make sense. As an independent ‘witness’, I would suggest closing the shop now is a rather hasty decision. Now of course my opinions are neither important nor well informed so I shall poke my nose into your business no further.

Thank you for transforming our Bridge Street shopping experience for the best part of the last decade, and I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours, whether they be new retail premises or a happy retirement.

Thank you Kevin, honourable gentleman and one of Wick’s genuine local heroes!

Kevin’s theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR1cVgk7Is

Play it loud and play it plenty.

Kevin’s theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pR1cVgk7Is

Play it loud and play it plenty.
    Lol, I am a Dire Straits fan, but being a hero holds no charm for me, however, it would be nice to secure a living for myself and staff.

There are 3 things that stand out on this thread for me.

1) Birons are in the best position, day in and day out, to give an opinion on the advantages or disadvantages of double yellow lines outside their shop. The rest of us pass through. We are 'ships in the night.'

2) If Birons decide that future trading conditions will be problematic, and they decide to close their shop, then that is their right to do. We 'ships in the night' might not like it but it is their right.

3) Much of the sadness, and even disagreement with the decision, comes out of a genuine appreciation for Birons and the important service offered by this wonderful little shop.

Janey

kevin why not give it a chance ?? stay open !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr P Cannop View Post
    kevin why not give it a chance ?? stay open !!!!
    If only it was that simple, Paul.
    Tel/fax 01955 604655

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast