Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Potted fruit trees with pruned roots

Default Potted fruit trees with pruned roots

Dear all,
    I got a few tall fruit trees (between 5' 9 and 5' 11) from B&M. Of course I didn't wonder how they managed to squeeze a massive root ball in the pot....
    So when I removed the trees from their pots I realised that the roots have been pruned/chopped off leaving a weird stump.
    Did you ever have one of those stumpies? Will mine recover?

Standard practice for mass production of cheep fruit trees. They are grown in raised beds then when the tree reaches the required height a giant blade cuts off the tap root.

Give it plenty of water and fertiliser, providing it has a reasonable amount of side roots it should recover. Keep a good eye on it during high winds/more than a few days without rain. Without a tap root they will have no anchor and no access to anything other than surface water for a few years.

Had some "stumpies" from B&Q all of ours survived their first year but only 50% survived the drought last year. We just couldn't keep up with their watering and the tallest didn't make it.