Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Can any past or current residents of Watten help please?

Default Can any past or current residents of Watten help please?

Hi,

I have some visitors travelling from Canada to Caithness this summer to trace some family history. Their family left the Watten area in the mid 19th century (surname Bruce and Sinclair) and they have excellent records on the family history - so good indeed that they know the family lived in a property known as 'Fernbank'.

They would like to visit 'Fernbank' but despite searching the electoral register and phone records, I cannot find a current or former property in the Watten area known as 'Fernbank'.

So I thought I would ask on here - does anyone have knowledge as to where this property might be or might have been in the past?

Thanks for Reading!

A bit of a long shot I know but had you thought of zooming in on some of the old Caithness maps on line?

Good Luck

Janey

Quote Originally Posted by janeyj View Post
    A bit of a long shot I know but had you thought of zooming in on some of the old Caithness maps on line?

Good Luck

Janey

That is a good idea - thank you. I will have a look see but I am not sure if house/ croft level detail will be that detailed - worth a look though.

Another possibility is the Valuation Rolls which might help pinpoint location. Scotlandsplaces.gov.uk is a free site where there is details for watten 1871-1873