Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the point of Labour anymore?

Richard WhoHe’s Scottish Labour Party won 18.6% of the vote and a single seat in last week’s general election. Why hasn’t he resigned? Is is because no-one knows who he is?

No point in knee jerk resignations at the moment - Its not as if there are any elections immediately up and coming.

I guess that Scottish Labour suffered badly due to national decisions (or indecisions as the case may be);

*Failing to deal with the anti-semetism
    *Having Jeremy Corbyn as leader
    *Having Diane Abbott in charge of sums
    *Failing to adopt a definitive Brexit policy

None of which are really Richard Leonard's fault. Just what he inherited from above.

WhoHe is a Corbynista. He’s hopeless. That makes it his fault.

Yes, thats true indeed. Oh well, they have plenty of time to regroup, rethink and re-invent themselves before the next election.

They had better get rid of the current Scottish Labour leader - not impressed. The next elections are not that far away, the Scottish ones I mean. If Scottish Labour do not recover in 2021 then they may as well pack up and join the Lib Dems.

Diane Abbott can ask her fellow shadow front bencher Dawn Butler to help her with sums.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wCwFLUt6zgE

56% of young voters aged under 30 voted Labour. That, among many reasons, is why Labour matters and it achieved that result under Jeremy Corbyn!

But not in Scotland. The total Labour vote was 18.6% in Scotland. I don’t have an age breakdown. Their only MP detests Corbyn, and maybe detests WhoHe for all I know.

The only way the Labour movement can rise again in Scotland is after independence if it can show it really embraces independence and has no connection whatsoever with the Unionist Labour party registered in London. We have to have an alternative to the SNP in a free and independent Scotland.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

I see the Labour Party leadership candidates are still peddling the myth that they can't win (at Westminster) without success in Scotland. It would appear that they don't know how deep a hole they are in. Even if they had won every seat in Scotland - all 59 of them - they would still have lost GE2019. The truth is they can't win even with success in Scotland.
    Last edited by Corky Smeek; 16-Feb-20 at 13:27.

I don't think we can or should write Labour off in the way you are suggesting as none of us have a crystal ball. I personally hope that Labour will once again become a credible party under new leadership. I have seen governments of both kinds several times in the course of my lifetime and hope to do so again south of the border, irrespective of what happens in Scotland.

Already, their future is looking slightly more hopeful;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51607512

Diane Abbott to stand down from shadow cabinet under new Labour leadership

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Can this really get any worse for the SNP?

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...anti-semitism/

New SNP resignation over alleged anti-Semitism

Not an election candidate, but much worse, part of the Conduct Committee

Starting to make Jeremy Corbyn look quite angelic.
    Absolutely despicable that the SNP are signing up an openly anti Semitic MP just to swell their numbers in Westminster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-51723096

Absolutely despicable that Orkneycadian seeks tries to occupy the moral high ground on any issue at all given his gutter level views on just about any topic you care to mention.

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Absolutely despicable that the SNP are signing up an openly anti Semitic MP just to swell their numbers in Westminster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-51723096
    That spurtle of yours must be reaching the end of its life, it’s been stirring continuously for months. Have you considered replacing it with a more subtle model?

Indeed I have - Sometimes I even go off here for years at a time. Then, all thats posted is "Why is the org so boring these days" or "does anyone know when Tesco is open?" So I get persuaded to come back again for a bit of "spurtle stirring". But like stirring a pot of very very thick porridge, it is hard going.

The forum has become livelier in recent months, thanks in no small part to your stirring posts.

I was involved in a discussion about Scottish Labour and their leader last week. Not one of the five of us could remember Richard WhoHe’s surname! In fact, it escapes me at this very moment.

One of the points of Labour seems to be to criticise the budget, whatever it contains. Interesting to hear that argumentative Gary Robertson on Radio Scotland telling a Labour Minister that the budget delivers everything that Labour said it should. But that still, in Labours view, it's a bad budget.

That is what the opposition does, in case you have not noticed. Fact is, the masses of money now being poured in does not redress 10 years of Tory austerity and utter misery in towns and cities throughout the UK, especially south of the border. That needs to be said and pointed out and the SNP were saying it loud and clear yesterday as well. The most glaring deficiency is now in the NHS just at time when we need it most- thousands of vacancies and no one to fill them, beds that have been cut and a service that has been at breaking point for goodness knows how long.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast