Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for any sutherlands from the latheron, dunbeath wick

zen3 Guest

Default looking for any sutherlands from the latheron, dunbeath wick

Hi I am trying to trace back my sutherland tree and i'm stumped can anyone help me?

hugh sutherland born 1813c married johanna dallas born 1821 from the latheron area they had a son thomas sutherland born 1863 and he married a robina dewer there could have been more children i dont know.
    thanks
    zena sutherland

Default Re: looking for any sutherlands from the latheron, dunbeath

Quote Originally Posted by zen3
    Hi I am trying to trace back my sutherland tree and i'm stumped can anyone help me?

hugh sutherland born 1813c married johanna dallas born 1821 from the latheron area they had a son thomas sutherland born 1863 and he married a robina dewer there could have been more children i dont know.
    thanks
    zena sutherland
    I'm not supprised you are stumped with Johanna, she seems to have been christned as a boy named Johanne Dallas on 13th Jun 1821.

Her parents were George Dallas and Catharine Barnie married 20th Mar 1817 in Latheron.

Here is the 1841 census entry for her household, all the ages seem to be a couple of years out but that seems to be normal with the 1841 census records. I've added the actual years born at the end where I know them.

There was another son, John born in 1832, may have died young.

District: 5 Folio: 0 Page: 16
    Address: Balintink

DALLAS George M 43 Farmer Caithness
    DALLAS Catharine F 40 Caithness
    DALLAS Elisabeth F 22 Caithness
    DALLAS Margt. F 20 Caithness 1819
    DALLAS Johan F 18 Caithness 1821
    DALLAS Janet F 16 Caithness 1823
    DALLAS Catharine F 14 Caithness 1825
    DALLAS Charlotte F 12 Caithness 1827
    DALLAS George M 10 Caithness 1830
    DALLAS James M 4 Caithness 1835

zen3 Guest

Thanks for the info
    Dont suppose you would know hugh's parents too many sutherlands to choose from?
    thanks so much
    zena

Thanks for the info
    Dont suppose you would know hugh's parents too many sutherlands to choose from?
    thanks so much
    zena
    That's normally the case with Sutherlands but this time it's a case of not enough.

The only likely candidate I can find was born in 1821 not around 1813.

zen3 Guest

Default sutherland

Hi Fred
    Can you give me any info on him?
    cheers any help will be gratefully recieved

Default Sutherland

Hugh Sutherland b. 1811 m. Johanna Dallas
    Parents John Sutherland & Esther Sutherland , Siblings :- William b.1807,Robert b 1809, Hugh b. 1811, James, Janet b. 1815, Ann b. 1817, George b. 1821, Alexander b. 1823.
    Esther Sutherland b.1788, Parents William and Ann Sutherland,

Default re Dallas

Deleted

zen3 Guest

Default sutherland

Thanks for all your help
    very gratefull
    cheers zena

zen3 Guest

Default sutherlands

Great information
    thanks everyone
    now i'm going to be a cheeky monkey hugh sutherland had a child thomas sutherland born 1863 married rabina dewer do we know if hugh had any more children?
    Thanks if anyone can help.
    zena

Default Re: sutherlands

Great information
    thanks everyone
    now i'm going to be a cheeky monkey hugh sutherland had a child thomas sutherland born 1863 married rabina dewer do we know if hugh had any more children?
    Thanks if anyone can help.
    zena
    There was John, he was born 20th feb 1859 at Clashvally Dunbeath.

zen3 Guest

Default sutherland

cheers fred

Default John Sutherland & Esther Sutherland

Zen3 & Elizabeth Forbes I have sent you a private emai to your caithness org inbox about John Sutherland & Esther Sutherland

zen3 Guest

Default sutherland

Hi Fred
    Do you also know if john sutherland hugh's son married? or had children.
    thanks zena

zen3 Guest

Default sutherlands

Hi Elizabeth

My thomas sutherland and rabina dewar had 3 children
    1. john robert sutherland born 1898 in dunbeath married margaret webster- my line
    2. calder sutherland johns twin 1898
    3. a girl dont know her name could be thisjahan dallas sutherland born 1892 who married william durrand.
    I'll have to find out somehow unless you know for sure?
    zena

Default sutherland

Johan Dallas Sutherland death registration 1961 in Wick , Parents Thomas Sutherland & Robertina Dewar, Spouse William George Durrand

Default Re: sutherland

Hi Fred
    Do you also know if john sutherland hugh's son married? or had children.
    thanks zena
    No, it's getting a bit late for my records. I have records of many, but by no means not all, births and marriages in Latheron parish before about 1870, I have the 1841 census and I have records of the burrials in both Latheron cemeteries and part of Clythe, which I'm working on at the moment, on my computer.

Anything outside that range I can't help with.

zen3 Guest

Default sutherlands

Ok Cheers fred
    zena

zen3 Guest

Default robina dewar

Robina dewar born 1857 father james dewar 1830c I'm told that they are related to the dewar whisky family but were disowned for marrying out of there does anyone know anything about this?

On the subject of the name Johanne, Johanna - the most common highland spelling is actually Johan. My name is Marion Johan and the name is repeated through generations of my family. What I found though was that since my ancestors were all Gaelic speakers it was left to the registrars to spell names in any which way they liked.

However I know from my Granny that it was pronounced Johan with an aspirant "h" as in the h in house.

A boy's name indeed, shame on you Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by marionq
    On the subject of the name Johanne, Johanna - the most common highland spelling is actually Johan. My name is Marion Johan and the name is repeated through generations of my family. What I found though was that since my ancestors were all Gaelic speakers it was left to the registrars to spell names in any which way they liked.

However I know from my Granny that it was pronounced Johan with an aspirant "h" as in the h in house.

A boy's name indeed, shame on you Fred.
    Wasn't me, either the parish priest got it wrong or the Latter Day Saints got it wrong but she's down as a boy in my records:

JOHANNE DALLAS
    Male

Event(s):
    Birth:
    Christening: 13 JUN 1821 Latheron, Caithness, Scotland
    Death:
    Burial:

Parents:
    Father: GEORGE DALLAS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast